Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only Running in Safe Mode, and Just Barely...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dominicana

Dominicana

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:04 PM

I think I'm posting in the right forum...I don't know, I hope so.

Anyhow, my notebook has been acting funny for a couple of days. It seems to only want to run in Safe Mode (I always choose Safe Mode with Networking so I can get online). If I try to shut it down and restart in Normal mode, the Windows screen comes up (the black screen with a little bar at the bottom)...and that's it. It'll run like that unless I shut it off, then cut it back on and choose Safe Mode.

Even in Safe Mode, there are problems. If I have more than 2 windows open, it'll freeze up. In Normal Mode, its the same thing. I don't recall any changes I've made recently, so I have no idea what to do. I even tried to do a System Restore....same 'Windows' screen came up and just ran for about 45 minutes.

My friend mentioned something about maybe some drivers were broken, but I checked and none of my drivers have errors.

I'm running the Windows XP OS, and I have a Gateway Mini Notebook, so there's no CD-ROM drive.

I've only gotten the blue screen of death once, it was early last night, and I couldn't read the whole thing, but it was a KERNEL error.

I have AVG 8.0 and Malware Bytes. I've run both and they've come back as me having a clean system. My firewall is currently not active (I'm just using the standard Windows Firewall).

I'm clueless and getting really frustrated, as this is the only computer I have and I have 3 finals projects I have to get done by Monday! Please help :(

Edited by Dominicana, 17 March 2011 - 05:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dominicana

Dominicana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

Anyone?

#3 h3r0

h3r0

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

hi friend.. if you are in normal mode can you use taskmanager? if you can use it open it and look for : File->run-> type: explorer
hope you can see your explorer again..
im afraid maybe your windows have been detected not as genuine?that's why its like that..
or maybe some bad viruses is in there...
you can try online scanner here
http://quickscan.bitdefender.com/

if you have sometime i recommend you to download and use livecd linux. at least it has open office to replace microsoft word
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

Edited by h3r0, 17 March 2011 - 10:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users