Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a backup snapshot type program for winxp tab ed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

I have a thinkpad x41 w/ winxp tab ed sp3 that I would like to backup in such a manner that if I have to reinstall again I can use a clone/snapshot/whatever backup on an ext hdd to reinstall it w/ my applications and configured settings. Can someone recommend the best program to use for that purpose?

I read the tutorial on driveimagexml. Restoring your clone requires making a boot cd for windows, which I have not been successful at doing. Years ago I tried Norton Ghost 10, but my backup didn't work. I'm hoping there's an easy, reliable, not-too-expensive program available now.

I have a mac as well as a pc and I have used superduper that backs up my mac w/ all its settings and programs. I can even boot from the ext hdd and run the mac os and my programs from the ext hdd if I can't boot from the internal hdd. That would be nice for my pc too, but I think I read that windows license doesn't permit putting a bootable copy of windows on an ext hdd.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:20 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html/page__view__findpost__p__190227
Please read Post #1 from Grinler - This is from the Malware section -
Advice is given on 4 methods of backing up / saving your system prior to doing Malware removal -

Regards -

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:35 AM

Thanks noknojon,

Re the link you supplied - I think DriveImageXML is the only backup software listed that will make a clone or image type backup of my OS so that I could "reinstall" windows by copying my backup onto my internal hdd. I think MS backup for XP backs up the registry - the system restore disc - so that you can use that to repair a corrupt registry rather than using the winxp install disc, which wouldn't have the registry changes made by the programs installed. I used Recovery console once to copy over the System Restore registry hives backups - it didn't work. My tablet pc has Lenovo's Rescue & Recovery console, which works differently than MS's Recovery console and I don't think I can use the system recovery disc in R&R.

DriveImageXML requires making a windows pe type boot disc. I haven't been able to figure out how to do the UBCD4Win boot disc the DriveImage article supplies links to or the Bart PE boot disc. Googling I've only found expensive Norton clone software [$79-$99] and Acronis [$49]. Acronis has a trial download and is more in my price range, so I'll try using that. Before I start the clock ticking on my free trial I have to try and get my winxp install configured and my programs installed.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users