Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recent Japan News

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kamakadazio

kamakadazio

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:54 PM

High levels of radiation at stricken reactor

White smoke started spewing from the stricken No. 3 reactor at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear power plant around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday.

There is the possibility that water in the pool where nuclear fuel rods are stored may be boiling.

High levels of radiation were measured near the Fukushima plant Wednesday morning. There are growing concerns that the high radiation levels are due to damage to the core containment vessel at the No. 2 reactor.

Radiation levels of 10,000 microsieverts (10 millisieverts) per hour were recorded at the main entrance to the Fukushima plant at about 10:40 a.m.

Referring to the smoke billowing from the No. 3 reactor, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano said at a news conference around 11 a.m. Wednesday: "We have received a report that steam is being emitted from the containment vessel of the No. 3 reactor. The temporarily high radiation levels may have been due to the steam (that contains radiation)."

http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201103160141.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew23

Andrew23

• Banned Spammer
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:49 PM

I'm sorry to hear about that. hope god bless them.

#3 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:30 PM

In case anyone is interested in looking at the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) reporting on this, their site can be reached by clicking here.

The information they report isn't all that current, but they do seem to be careful to report only verified information.

My knowledge about radiochemistry is 'enough to be dangerous', but I think it's better than the average lay-person has. My take on this is that it's a very serious situation. The best thing I can say is that it doesn't seem to be getting a lot worse very quickly.

My heart goes out to the brave workers still at the plant, and to the people of Japan who have had to struggle with living through this triple disaster. They have held up quite well so far IMHO.

#4 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

I took a look on Google Earth and saw, that the Korean and American people must be in worry when the wind stay in the wrong destination.
I live in Europe and in the Netherlands, we Dutch people don't be afraid that we get that too, of course is the possibility there that we get also the Nuclear smoke, but the change for that is very small.
You know, we Dutch people must be afraid that the Government makes the Tax expansive than that we hitting by the Nuclear smoke from Japan.
So Korean and American people, I will pray for you that the smoke stay in Japan.
In an earlier topic, letting I know how I think over the Japanese folk, but they just like us, humans, so I hope for them, that they stay health.

God Bless you

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:37 PM

An interesting article by The Register takes the position that 90% of the crisis at Fukushima is media hype, capitalizing on an emergency to boost ratings/circulation. That the situation, while demanding action and attention, is not nearly as dire or dangerous as the media portrays it as.

I was watching CNN yesterday when the anchor interviewed a member of the Japanese government. She seemed determined to make the government official admit that Fukushima was on the verge of a catastrophe rather than to elicit facts from someone who might actually have a few. It's worth remembering that the news media have a vested interest in attracting readers/viewers/listeners. They're not above fabricating a story to do it.

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:58 PM

@Andrew: I'm SHOCKED!!! SHOCKED I say!!! that you think it even possible the "Liberal Lame$tream Media" (LL$M) would stoop to such tactics just to sell a few more bottles of laundry detergent. How dare you so much as imply that the self-annointed World Leader in News be complicit in such deliberately deceptive duplicity!!!

ALERT THE MODS!!!
ETA: Snarkasm, obviously for those whose Snark-o-Meters are malfunctioning.

ETA: Written about 3 decades or more ago but probably applies even more so to today's crop of "Bubble Headed Bleached-Blondes"

Edited by Union_Thug, 18 March 2011 - 01:24 PM.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

Conservative mainstream media is just as guilty. :P

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:20 PM

Conservative mainstream media is just as guilty. :P

I disagree. EXPONENTIALLY more so, IMO :P: Witness this latest pearl of wisdom from "The Coulter-geist" ( You're gonna LOVE this)

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:26 PM

Oh, my. I stand corrected! :o

#10 Bill253

Bill253

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:38 PM

@Andrew - thanks for posting the link to The Register, it is certainly interesting reading, along with the article it links to at World Nuclear News.

IMO, while The Register may be downplaying the seriousness of the issue a little, mainstream US media (LL$M as Union_Thug calls it :thumbup2:) is definitely over-hyping the situation a lot. What new crisis will they find to report on next week, back to the mid-east for more reporting on the fighting there I suspect.

The real challenge facing the Japanese people is dealing with the very real death and destruction caused by the tsunami - some 7000+ with a higher body count to come - and many many more people who have lost everything. Fortunately the Japanese people are handling this crisis with strength and dignity so far, and I have no doubt they will continue to do so.

All this damage and destruction, and no looting, wow - what would happen in most of the rest of the world, especially the US, under similar circumstances. Some would say they are sheep, but the Japanese people have much to teach the rest of the world about civility and team work IMO.

#11 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

edit self-delete.

Edited by Union_Thug, 18 March 2011 - 02:49 PM.

#12 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

@Bill253 We do have an idea of what kinds of things could happen if the U.S. was hit by a natural disaster (Katrina for those that don't know). Things weren't doing so well over there. If what happened in Japan happened to us, it'd probably be Katrina all over again, but worse probably.

The Japanese people, from my understanding, are well disciplined as far as I understand them. How far that goes, I don't know. I'll shut up.

Edited by scff249, 18 March 2011 - 08:09 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#13 Drix08

Drix08

• Banned
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

@Andrew - thanks for posting the link to The Register, it is certainly interesting reading, along with the article it links to at World Nuclear News.

IMO, while The Register may be downplaying the seriousness of the issue a little, mainstream US media (LL$M as Union_Thug calls it :thumbup2:) is definitely over-hyping the situation a lot. What new crisis will they find to report on next week, back to the mid-east for more reporting on the fighting there I suspect.

The real challenge facing the Japanese people is dealing with the very real death and destruction caused by the tsunami - some 7000+ with a higher body count to come - and many many more people who have lost everything. Fortunately the Japanese people are handling this crisis with strength and dignity so far, and I have no doubt they will continue to do so.

All this damage and destruction, and no looting, wow - what would happen in most of the rest of the world, especially the US, under similar circumstances. Some would say they are sheep, but the Japanese people have much to teach the rest of the world about civility and team work IMO.

Good thing.. Maria Ozawa is not one of them :)

#14 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:00 AM

Yes its quite sad whats going on there :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users