Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 8 will not open

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tonyneedshelp

tonyneedshelp

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:35 AM

I am having an issue with Internet Explorer. Whenever I click on to open it, it pretty much does nothing (get hourglass, but no window) or it will open up and then close right away. I do get an error report that pops up with this. I need to fix this for certain applications that I use. I have tried uninstalling/re-installing with no success. I also downloaded a registry fix program, but when I try running that, I get a similar error report and it closes it up the instant it finishes scanning. I can run a hijackthis report if that will help or do whatever needs to be done to help someone solve my issue.

I am using Windows NT Professional, SP2, IE8.

Let me know if you need any other information or if you have any suggestions.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:37 AM

1) What is the error you get?
2) Do other browsers work (firefox, opera, etc)?

#3 tonyneedshelp

tonyneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

1) Others will work fine....using Firefox for now.

2) Could not get error report with IE when I just tried it, but here is the one I got with Messenger.

AppName: yahoomessenger.exe AppVer: 10.0.0.1270 ModName: unknown
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 066f3abe

Not sure if you need info in report or not but would not let me copy the info from there.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

If you look in the Event viewer the errors shown previously for IE should be located in either the application section or they may be an IE section as well.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 tonyneedshelp

tonyneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:45 AM

Date: 3/17/2011 Source: McLogEvent
Time: 11:40:42 AM Category: None
Type: Information Event ID: 257
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Description:
Would be blocked by access protection rule (rule is in warn-only mode) (Common Standard Protection:Prevent common programs from running files from the Temp folder).

#6 tonyneedshelp

tonyneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

The protocol handler Search.Mapi2Handler.1 cannot be loaded. Error description: Class not registered.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

#7 tonyneedshelp

tonyneedshelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

In looking through the Event Viewer, I came across this (next paragraph)....through reading it and my limited knowledge about this stuff, it sounds like my registry has been locked by something??? Is there a way to "unlock" it or anything like that???

Windows saved user XXXXXXX (just my id so I xxx'ed it out) registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

This is what Microsoft says about it:

Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1517
Source: Userenv
Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_HIVE_SAVED
Message: Windows saved user %1 registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

Explanation
Windows unloads each user's profile and user's section of the registry when the user logs off. This message indicates that Windows could not unload the user's profile because a program was referencing the user's section of the registry. This locked the profile. The registry cannot unload profiles that are locked and in use. When the program that is locking the profile is no longer referencing the registry, the profile will be unloaded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users