Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Editing Software

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Machinery

Machinery

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:16 AM

I'm curious about how films were edited.
What editing software did producers and filmmakers were using to create a film with awesome effects?
Like 2012?

Edited by Machinery, 17 March 2011 - 09:17 AM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joetech

Joetech

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:50 PM

Film makers,that is Hollywood, still use film. TV shows, news etc, use mostly Avid. This is a very expensive software that runs on very expensive and usually dedicated computers. Software was about $10K a few years ago.
For mere mortals, Adobe Premiere or Premiere Elements is a good alternative and will do just about everything almost anything one would want to do.
Just what do you have in mind or just asking?

Edited by Joetech, 17 March 2011 - 09:51 PM.

#3 Machinery

Machinery
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:38 AM

I see. But what about films like "Toy Story"? What do they use? I'm just asking.
Posted Image

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:12 AM

Animation is a process in its own right. The major studios have custom developed software for 3D animation, and use tools like Massive and rendering systems running on hugely powerful rendering platforms from the likes of Silicon Graphics and Sun. Dreamworks has D-Render, Blue Sky has CGI Studio, Pixar uses RenderMan, and supplies it to others like Disney.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1995_Dec_4/ai_17812444/

Edited by Platypus, 18 March 2011 - 07:24 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:34 AM

If you're interested in playing around with 3D animation, Blender is a free program you can check out.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 05:14 PM

I second Blender. I've been using it for a while, it is really is cool. Best part is the price . . . free.
In addition to animation, you can also make 3D games, including first person shooters.
Like tg1911 said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users