Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE8 Blocking File Download - POP-UP Blocker is OFF!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 techforcity

techforcity

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:58 AM

Ok, so we upgraded our servers to IE8 because of some compatibility issues for some of our websites that our company has to visit. Now we are running into some issues after the upgrade. Our billing department needs to download these html files, and when they click on the links that they need to download from the window comes up and looks like it is going to load something and then you hear a bleep and the window closes out. Now you would think that the popup blocker would be the cause of this, but I double checked the settings and the popup blocker is off and there is no other addon in internet explorer that has a popup blocker.

Another weird thing is, is when the window comes up that looks like it's going to load and you hit the stop (or cancel) button and copy the link that it is trying to load, and open up another tab and paste the address in there, you are then able to download the file. This is a pain in the butt though, and wastes a lot of time since we do a ton of these a day and would slow down productivity. Can anyone think of what could be causing this to happen, and how I can solve this issue?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

Hello!!
I'm not a expert so please wait for one to answer you.
My suggestion is use Mozilla Firefox. Internet Explorer is not the choice of very many people. There are far better browsers than IE8.I think IE9 is coming out soon for Windows 7 :thumbup2:

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

Hello!!
I'm not a expert so please wait for one to answer you.
My suggestion is use Mozilla Firefox. Internet Explorer is not the choice of very many people. There are far better browsers than IE8.I think IE9 is coming out soon for Windows 7 :thumbup2:

That doesn't solve the problem. Also, IE9 has already been released.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:01 PM

With IE open...Tools/Internet Options/Security tab.

What's the security level setting...for the Internet zone?

Click the Custom Level button on Security tab...browse down to Downloads section. Check the choices made.

Louis

#5 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

Hello!

That doesn't solve the problem. Also, IE9 has already been released.

Sorry, Is IE9 the answer to this problem??
I said I wasn't an expert and to wait for one to answer.I thought the OP might try firefox and see if they had same problem. I'm not saying that firefox is the answer.They said they just up graded to IE8 ;which has been around for a long time and now they are having problems.
That's all I'm saying. I admit I don't know why coping and pasting in another tab fixes their problem; so I'll not comment further unless I find a answer. I see no problem with having as many browsers as you want.
I use IE8 and Firefox. I can't get IE9 because I run XP3
If I have commented out of line;I'm very sorry. only trying to help. I will watch this topic and see what the answer is

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:20 PM

Also, IE9 has already been released.

Microsoft's new browser, Internet Explorer 9 (IE9), will not run on Windows XP, now or when the software eventually ships, the company confirmed Tuesday.

The move makes Microsoft the first major browser developer to drop support for XP, the world's most popular operating system, in a future release.

Quote from: Windows XP: No IE9 for you By Gregg Keizer March 18, 2010

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:37 PM

Hello!

The move makes Microsoft the first major browser developer to drop support for XP, the world's most popular operating system, in a future release.

Booooooooooooo Bill Gates :hysterical:
Louis could you please explain further what the settings should be to solve this problem. There are a lot of options to decide. Is there a quick way to decide which ones to check??
Thank you sir!!
I have the first one disabled and the other two enabled??????

Edited by garybear, 17 March 2011 - 01:51 PM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

Animal - thanks -- failed to notice the OS.

#9 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

Hello!
I don't want to hijack this thread, but would like to ask about Spyware Blaster. I have read several threads here on BC that recommend it. I have it and keep it up dated for definitions, but don't know much more. I hope I'm not hijacking this thread.Sense the topic is about IE8 and Spyware Blaster is recommended by BC for IE8 I hope this is ok to post.
Thank you!!

#10 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:44 PM

I don't want to hijack this thread, but.... I hope I'm not hijacking this thread...I hope this is ok to post

Ask yourself one question: Does this have anything to do with or help solve the OP's problem. If the answer is no, you have your answer, IMO

Just my .02

Posted Image

#11 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:55 PM

I don't want to hijack this thread, but.... I hope I'm not hijacking this thread...I hope this is ok to post

Ask yourself one question: Does this have anything to do with or help solve the OP's problem. If the answer is no, you have your answer, IMO

Just my .02

Posted Image

No it does not. I'm very sorry. A member said BC was not strict about this. Fairly new here. Won't happen again!!!
Thanks for your honest reply sir! My thinking was the OP might want to add Spyware Blaster if they want to continue using IE8 .
Won't post further because I don't have a answer to this problem.
I'm sorry!!

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,068 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

@garybear, yes you are hijacking the topic. Please stop taking others people's posts off topic. Unless you have something worthwhile and you are knowledgeable about what you're suggesting, keep the random comments to your own topics. Please don't guess at things. Thank you.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#13 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

And it just keeps getting better......

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#14 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

And it just keeps getting better......

No comment!!:hysterical:
Just waiting to see what the fix is for this members problem!!

#15 techforcity

techforcity
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:57 AM

Ok, so IE9 is not an option to upgrade because some of the websites that we use are not compatible for viewing with IE9 yet (can't understand why, but they aren't --- doesn't make much sense to me).

Still blocking the file download. Also, the security level on all content and stuff is set to low, and I have enabled everything. Now I am getting popups saying that there is security risks and that I should fix it (I hate this stuff). Still, nothing is coming up for download and the window keeps closing out.

Does anyone think they have a fix for this issue yet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users