Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Out of control pointer

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 bicycle bill

bicycle bill

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

I have been trying for hours to find out a way to get the mouse pointer on a Toshiba Tecra M2 S-630 to function as it should.
It will work OK up to an hour and then dart off to a corner at a speed that would make a UFO look like
the speed of a T-Model Ford.It will stay refusing to move until it decides to appear and work again which can be thirty seconds to 15 minutes.

What have I tried? I have

Did a system restore
Did a last known good configuration
Disabled the touchpad hoping just my wireless mouse would work but no it won't.
Updated the driver for the touchpad and the wireless mouse.
Fiddled with the pointer speed,unticked "enhace pointer precision.
Tried three different rats with not change in behavior.
Ran a scan with Malwarebytes and Avira and nothing was found that should't be there.

What in the world could cause this. While searching for an answer I saw that the general opinion is that
the touchpad simply wears out. This Laptop is six years old.
Looks like the only remedy may be to wipe and do an install of XP and I don't have a disk and,really don't
think I could do it and this is not my computer and my friend doesn't want to spend any money to fix it.

The bottom line is there must be a reason for this problem-BUT WHAT IS THAT REASON?
I won't be surprised if I don't get a reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:18 AM

Just to clarify, this is something that occurs with both the trackpad and external mice, even when disabling the trackpad?
(Instructor) You put a Linux machine within a Windows machine within a Mac? That's great! Now where is that paper on BitTorrents vulnerabilities that was due last week?

#3 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:22 AM

Just to clarify, this is something that occurs with both the trackpad and external mice, even when disabling the trackpad?

Well the problem is with both but Of course when the touchpad is disabed it does not work and neither does the wireless mouse.

#4 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:36 AM

As in when the touchpad is disabled the wireless mouse won't work at all, or it experiences the same random jumps?
(Instructor) You put a Linux machine within a Windows machine within a Mac? That's great! Now where is that paper on BitTorrents vulnerabilities that was due last week?

#5 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:39 AM

it experiences the same random jumps?

#6 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:48 AM

While there is probably a better way to go about solving this, one thing I might do would be to boot any of the free GUI based Linux distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.) from a Live CD and browse the web for an hour or two. Assuming you don't run into any of the problems which might beset you when booting into Linux (I've only experienced graphics computability issues before) you can isolate whether the problem is hardware or software related. If the problem repeats itself from within the live OS, then it is probably a hardware issue. If not, then I would guess something is not functioning correctly within the Windows installation.

#7 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:08 AM

While there is probably a better way to go about solving this, one thing I might do would be to boot any of the free GUI based Linux distributions (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.) from a Live CD and browse the web for an hour or two. Assuming you don't run into any of the problems which might beset you when booting into Linux (I've only experienced graphics computability issues before) you can isolate whether the problem is hardware or software related. If the problem repeats itself from within the live OS, then it is probably a hardware issue. If not, then I would guess something is not functioning correctly within the Windows installation.

Say what? Sorry I am not grasping what you are saying here. That is probably beyond my knowhow anyway. THanks

#8 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:23 AM

If the problem is software related, doing a fresh XP install will probably fix the problem if you can get a copy of an installation disc to use. However, if the problem is hardware related, you will put yourself through a couple more hours of work to be back where you started. So it would be nice to have a little more definitive idea of if the problem is software or hardware related. Booting into a separate operating system can help narrow this down.

One thing I would do is boot into a live Linux distribution. Linux is basically a group of alternative operating systems using similar underlying architecture that are published freely by various groups. The most popular ones can be downloaded as an ISO image which can be burnt to a CD. Once you have that CD in the computer, when booting you can access the boot menu or setup (if the manufacturer has a logo on bootup you'll probably see a f-function key leading to these listed there). Once there you can tell the computer to boot from the CD. This will load the Linux operating system without disturbing the Windows installation on your hard drive. From there it is fairly easy to play around with the interface.

#9 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:35 AM

Do you have a link to this Linux distribution?Thanks

#10 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:47 AM

Here is a link to the download page for Ubuntu, one of the most popular versions of Linux. http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download There are a few steps outlined which will speed you along to making sure you are up and running, just click the "Show Me How" buttons. Just remember to click "Try Ubuntu" and not "Install Ubuntu" when you boot. Also note that you can also make a bootable USB drive if you follow the directions on the linked page. Good luck.

#11 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:52 AM

I want to persue this but one question. This is a laptop with the problem and this site indicates desktop.

Edited by bicycle bill, 17 March 2011 - 09:56 AM.

#12 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

Right, didn't think of that. A laptop can still run desktop OS software, so that alone isn't a huge problem. However, there is a netbook edition which may serve your needs better. However, I'm fairly sure the primary difference is the netbook release is meant for smaller screen but doesn't necessarily need less resources needed to run, so I think it makes little difference. http://www.ubuntu.com/netbook

#13 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

Thanks man and I will get on this and see what I can do.
Will get back to you.

#14 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

Make sure to let me know how it goes.

#15 bicycle bill

bicycle bill
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:26 PM

Sorry being this late getting back to you but I have been waiting to see if the
fool mouse pointer continues to behave like it has for at least three hours. Never stable
that long in the past.Hopefully the problem is fixed.

Only thing I did since I posted is install the correct driver for the touchpad which I thought I had done already
deleted everything at tools>options>delete all.There were thousands of items in there. I don't think so but do
you think so many items in there could cause the bizarre behavior of the mouse?

I really do thank you for your effort to help with this problem. I may have to follow your suggestions yet
if the mouse starts to act up again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users