Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Libya...should the international community intervene?

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#1 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

So, as I'm sure most of you are aware there is political turmoil in Libya, and a few other dictator states, at the moment. What appears to be crimes against humanity are taking place with state governments/dictators shooting/torturing citizens of their own countries.

The citizens of Libya and other countries are rebelling and fighting for their right to democracy and for those of us who live in "Western" societies this right seems a fundamental right to which all should be entitled - but do we have a right to enforce it?

Do we, the international community, have the right to interfere in other country's politics and support rebellions? Col. Gaddafi, for instance, is arguing that the rebels are terrorists - so do we support these "terrorists"? Bahrain has the military support of several Gulf states to help with "public order" - so do we condemn this?

If so, what measures should we take? Invading a county is never well received despite the good intentions. What of a "no fly zone"? Are political and trade embargoes enough?

Thoughts...

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

I think the international community should stick to a humanitarian effort. Anything like a no-fly zone wouldn't work without US participation anyway.

I fear it's going to be a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:47 PM

The fledgling United States would never have won its independence if not for "foreign intervention." While I certainly agree that one cannot "enforce" democracy, one can surely lend a hand.

#4 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:50 PM

True Andrew. But because something was right in one case, doesn't mean it is right in another. The main reason I am against it, is I just don't think I can handle all the protests.

#5 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:55 PM

quote: Anything like a no-fly zone wouldn't work without US participation anyway.

I notice that the Arab League are in favour (bar two member states) of a no-fly zone - should it be up to them to enforce it? Rather than asking the US/NATO/EU?

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#6 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

I don't think the Arab League have the power. It may well mean destroying many military targets. I doubt Gaddafi will just accept the zone.

Even if the Arab League could manage it, they would suffer great lose first. So I stick to saying it is not possible without the US leading the way.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

"But because something was right in one case, doesn't mean it is right in another."

By the same token, it doesn't mean it is wrong either.

Let me clarify: I'm not suggesting that the US invade Libya. The US is not the global police officer, not should it be. This should be the purview of the United Nations.

Edited by Andrew, 17 March 2011 - 03:55 PM.

#8 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:08 PM

"By the same token, it doesn't mean it is wrong either."

Shall we both agree to just stop stating the obvious?

"The US is not the global police officer, not should it be. This should be the purview of the United Nations."

I agree.

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:46 PM

"Shall we both agree to just stop stating the obvious?"

NEVER!!!!

#10 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

Latest update:

quote:The UN Security Council has backed a resolution on Libya that supports a no-fly zone and "all necessary measures" to protect civilians.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-12781009

Also interesting...

quote:It is not thought that the US would be involved in the first strikes, but the British and French are likely to get logistical backup from Arab allies.

Casey

#11 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 04:50 AM

"NEVER!!!!" :hysterical:

"quote:The UN Security Council has backed a resolution on Libya that supports a no-fly zone and "all necessary measures" to protect civilians."

So, it begins.

"quote:It is not thought that the US would be involved in the first strikes, but the British and French are likely to get logistical backup from Arab allies."

I would have thought they would use the American GPS system though. The UK has a system called Skynet, but I don't think it is as effective as the American one.

#12 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:57 PM

Before getting rid of what you got make sure of what you will be getting to replace him. There are some crazy's out there even worse than him.

#13 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:34 AM

@Layback Bear,

I think that is a very valid point and explains the past consensus on a lot of dictator states. The US and the EU have "put up" with these states in the past (and even supported them) because, even though they may not have liked their policies, they were stable.

A case of "better the devil you know" I fear.

I find it hard that the UN mandate authorises such action, yet does not allow for the direct removal of Godaffi. So we bomb a few of his air defences, he calms down for a few months (or years) and then it kicks off again - then what?

Casey

#14 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 06:07 AM

I honestly think that Gaddafi is being reminded of an Air Strike from many years ago, that one made him pull his head in.

Link for the younger Members.

http://flightjournal.com/ME2/Sites/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=PubPagi&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle+Title&mid=13B2F0D0AFA04476A2ACC02ED28A405F&tier=4&id=E1E81160B3F2485E81EA65C81F150343&SiteID=20EB32E87F7D4A9C98F2980F81E922D1

The UN and tha Allies are once again reminding him that they will not tolerate what he is doing to his Citizens, this time. All out War on the ground is not neccessary, let his people decide his fate. That is Democracy at it's finest.

Isn't it funny that he now starts to talk about Terrorists after you read the Link? :hysterical:

I guess he doesn't use Google?

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 21 March 2011 - 06:28 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#15 Drix08

Drix08

• Banned
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 07:42 PM

And the war has just begun..

I pray for the people in Libya and to the world.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users