Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus overload

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ru5ty

ru5ty

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:57 AM

Hi folks

I am new here so please excuse me if this is in the wrong section or has been posted before. My work computer has a virus overload. I have run Malwarebytes anti malare, Avira and Super anti spyware. They have found numerous viruses which I have quarantined and deleted but every time I open a browser page and do another scan they are back. The initial run of Avira uncovered over 1800 detections, 21 warnings and 2 hidden objects.

I am just wondering what I can do to try and get rid of these completely?

I know I have probably not provided enough info but I am not great with computers so if you have any questions I will try to answer them.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:55 AM

Did Avira provide a log or specific file names associated with the malware threat(s) detection and if so, where are they located (full file path) at on your system?

Each security vendor uses their own naming conventions to identify various types of malware so it's difficult to determine exactly what has been detected or the nature of the infection without knowing more information about the actually file(s) involved. Names with Generic or Patched are a very broad category. See Understanding virus names.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Since you say this a work computer, have you contacted and advised your IT Department? In most work environments, the IT staff implement specific policies and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources. In fact, many companies will require you to read those policies and sign a statement of understanding. These official procedures are designed and implemented to provide security and certain restrictions to protect the network. This allows all users to safely use business resources with minimum risk of malware infection, illegal software, and exposure to inappropriate Internet sites or other prohibited activity. We will not assist with attempts to circumvent those policies or security measures.

Our forums are set up to help the home computer user deal with issues and questions relating to personal computers. At most community security sites like this, we do not have the staff or resources to deal with numerous client machines or the complexities of network disinfection. A lot of helpers are not familiar with Servers and many of the tools we use are restricted to non-commercial use by their creators. Further, we are not equipped to involve ourselves in any legal issues that may arise due to loss of business data and loss of revenue as a result of malware infection or the disinfection process which in some instances require reformatting and reinstallation of the operating system.

A business IT staff generally has established procedures in place to deal with issues and infections on client machines on the network. As such, they may not approve of employees seeking help at an online forum or outside the business office as doing so could interfere or cause problems with their removal methods. The malware you are dealing with may have infected the network. If that's the case, the IT Department needs to be advised right away so they can take the appropriate disinfection measures.

If you're reluctant or embarrassed to inform the IT Team, keep in mind that they can easily trace the source of the infection. It is much better to bring this to their attention than to deal with the consequences of violating security policy once the IT Team and your supervisor finds out.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ru5ty

ru5ty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:04 AM

Did Avira provide a log or specific file names associated with the malware threat(s) detection and if so, where are they located (full file path) at on your system?

Each security vendor uses their own naming conventions to identify various types of malware so it's difficult to determine exactly what has been detected or the nature of the infection without knowing more information about the actually file(s) involved. Names with Generic or Patched are a very broad category. See Understanding virus names.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Since you say this a work computer, have you contacted and advised your IT Department? In most work environments, the IT staff implement specific policies and procedures for the use of computer equipment and related resources. In fact, many companies will require you to read those policies and sign a statement of understanding. These official procedures are designed and implemented to provide security and certain restrictions to protect the network. This allows all users to safely use business resources with minimum risk of malware infection, illegal software, and exposure to inappropriate Internet sites or other prohibited activity. We will not assist with attempts to circumvent those policies or security measures.

Our forums are set up to help the home computer user deal with issues and questions relating to personal computers. At most community security sites like this, we do not have the staff or resources to deal with numerous client machines or the complexities of network disinfection. A lot of helpers are not familiar with Servers and many of the tools we use are restricted to non-commercial use by their creators. Further, we are not equipped to involve ourselves in any legal issues that may arise due to loss of business data and loss of revenue as a result of malware infection or the disinfection process which in some instances require reformatting and reinstallation of the operating system.

A business IT staff generally has established procedures in place to deal with issues and infections on client machines on the network. As such, they may not approve of employees seeking help at an online forum or outside the business office as doing so could interfere or cause problems with their removal methods. The malware you are dealing with may have infected the network. If that's the case, the IT Department needs to be advised right away so they can take the appropriate disinfection measures.

If you're reluctant or embarrassed to inform the IT Team, keep in mind that they can easily trace the source of the infection. It is much better to bring this to their attention than to deal with the consequences of violating security policy once the IT Team and your supervisor finds out.

Hi mate thanks for this. I have just had the boss on the phone and the IT guy is going to be looking into in on Monday. It is not a large company so we only have the one guy who does the IT and he has not been in a rush to help. Hopefully the problems will be solved on Monday.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:26 AM

I understand.

If your IT guy needs assistance, he is welcome to post here for that.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users