Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Update Throws Persistent Errors


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SolarCat

SolarCat

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:17 AM

I haven't been able to run Windows Update for several months, and I've finally decided to ask for help. Many thanks in advance to this community!

Dell Inspiron 1420 w 3GB RAM
OS: Vista 32 Home Premium SP2
AV: Microsoft Security Essentials
FW: Windows Firewall

Every time I initiate Windows Update, it errors out with the "error 80072efd" message (see screen shot for greater detail).
Posted Image

I've followed most of the suggestions that seemed applicable from this KB article with no success, and I also ran a MSFT auto-repair tool that I found somewhere in that vicinity. No joy.

I tried the method given in this post on the PCHelpForum (briefly, stop the Windows Update service, rename the \Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder, make a new folder, and restart the service). That didn't work but it did give an interesting clue, because my brand-new \SoftwareDistribution folder that was created empty now has over 1GB of stuff in it. So it's fairly obvious that Windows Update can indeed connect to its source.

Here are screenshots of the old folder directory and the new one.
Posted Image
Posted Image

That small ReportingEvents.log file in the new folder has the following contents:

{BAADADCA-5A03-4348-8DD2-A7CF7F4DCB51}	2011-03-16 22:06:34:747-0700	1	202	102	{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}	0	0	AutomaticUpdates	Success	Content Install	Reboot completed.
{E02EA899-3789-4E86-ADB4-9C44165CF9E1}	2011-03-16 22:15:57:420-0700	1	148	101	{D67661EB-2423-451D-BF5D-13199E37DF28}	1	80072efd	SelfUpdate	Failure	Software Synchronization	Windows Update Client failed to detect with error 0x80072efd.

Another thing I did was to run scf. It produced an extremely lengthy CBS.log with many entries referring to \winsxs\temp\PendingRenames, which now contains 1,703 files.

I've run a MalWareBytes quick scan, which found nothing except for a context menu entry for regedit that it didn't like.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks very much.

Edited by SolarCat, 17 March 2011 - 09:46 AM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 daweeze02

daweeze02

  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:15 PM

I feel your pain, I have pc's I just noticed here at work with the same issue. Both have Windows 7 SP1 which I find odd because they are the only 2 acting up so hmmm. Also I have googled this to death and have tried every thing the technet post I have read and MS bulletin about the issue but nothing works. I hate to have to call MS on this issue but its really got me stumped.

#3 SolarCat

SolarCat
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for that. Since last posting here, I went through a lengthy exchange at PCHelpForum. Some relatively minor malware issues were found and cleaned, but there's still no change in the failure to update.

I'm darned if I'm going to pay to call MSFT over this, but I'm considering posting in their support forums.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users