Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Funky fan installation question

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:21 AM

While revamping our old family tower for my grandfather I opened it up and was astounded to find that it appeared the technician who installed our upgraded graphics card had glued an additional fan onto the expansion cards surrounding it, using zipties attached to the fan to attach the glue onto. Can you do that safely without damaging a computer? Also, while I was working with it the fan came loose so I removed it figuring it was an extraneous addition made by someone who thought they were going the extra mile. Have I put this older machine at risk? Attached File  Photo on 2011-03-17 at 00.20.jpg   54.79KB   5 downloads
(Instructor) You put a Linux machine within a Windows machine within a Mac? That's great! Now where is that paper on BitTorrents vulnerabilities that was due last week?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:29 AM

It could fall off while the fan is spinning.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 falcore91

falcore91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:30 AM

It could fall off while the fan is spinning.

What could fall off?
(Instructor) You put a Linux machine within a Windows machine within a Mac? That's great! Now where is that paper on BitTorrents vulnerabilities that was due last week?

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:32 AM

The extra fan that was installed.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 falcore91

falcore91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:35 AM

OK. So I have physically removed the fan and do not intend to reinstall it. Should there be any risk of an overheat? In addition, why would you put it in there in the first place? In case I need to do an improvised mod myself some day, can you safely glue objects to expansion cards?

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:39 AM

Take a whole screenshot of HW Monitor and post it on your next reply to determine the temperature of the main components.

Edited by killerx525, 17 March 2011 - 12:40 AM.

>Michael 

#7 falcore91

falcore91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:47 AM

Unfortunately the machine is sitting at my grandfather's, an hour long drive away. For now let's focus on what I'm more interested in: have you ever seen someone glue in components like the one I attached a picture of?

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:48 AM

No, i have not seen anybody glue in components.

>Michael 

#9 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:27 AM

if you are worried about airflow get a stronger case fan or more of them if the case supports it and put the zip ties to good use by holding the wires out of the way of the air.

#10 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:41 AM

I have been in the electronics repair field for roughly 18 years now, I have seen things that kids do to put things together that I thought were off the wall, but when you say tech, that word means someone who is advanced enough to find better ways to make things fit into a computer case.

You did not specify what cards the wire ties were glued to, but without that information I can say that the setup would have stressed the boards of those devices to say the least.

Also, the fan being partially secure like that would mean if the system was moved and bumped there was always the possibility the glue would give way and the cooling fan would slam into the motherboard and cause damage.

It is unclear to me, what the fan was supposed to be cooling down, but there had to be a better way of doing so.

Removing the fan you are doing less damage to the system, then the fan would have done if it has broken loose and was floating about the computer case.

If you experience issues with the system needing more air-flow, mount a side fan in the computer case side if it has a whole for one.

If the case is metal, and there is no air hole, you can make one using a 1/4 drill bit and make a nice design of 100 or so air holes and mount a cooling fan in that area.

Or use an 3" hole saw to make the hole, get a fan grill and make 4 holes to hold both the fan and grill to the case side panel.

Bruce
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:52 AM

you removed it from the upgraded graphics card ,correct , if the card had its own fan ,i would make sure thats its working ,if it didn't have one then it did't need one or the manufactor would have installed one

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:00 AM

I have been in the electronics repair field for roughly 18 years now, I have seen things that kids do to put things together that I thought were off the wall, but when you say tech, that word means someone who is advanced enough to find better ways to make things fit into a computer case.

You did not specify what cards the wire ties were glued to, but without that information I can say that the setup would have stressed the boards of those devices to say the least.

Also, the fan being partially secure like that would mean if the system was moved and bumped there was always the possibility the glue would give way and the cooling fan would slam into the motherboard and cause damage.

It is unclear to me, what the fan was supposed to be cooling down, but there had to be a better way of doing so.

Removing the fan you are doing less damage to the system, then the fan would have done if it has broken loose and was floating about the computer case.

If you experience issues with the system needing more air-flow, mount a side fan in the computer case side if it has a whole for one.

If the case is metal, and there is no air hole, you can make one using a 1/4 drill bit and make a nice design of 100 or so air holes and mount a cooling fan in that area.

Or use an 3" hole saw to make the hole, get a fan grill and make 4 holes to hold both the fan and grill to the case side panel.

Bruce

LOL that's what i did to my case by mounting a intake fan.

>Michael 

#13 falcore91

falcore91
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:54 AM

Thank you for all the replies. The graphics card did appear to have some form of heat sink on it, however I should clarify by stating that the "upgrade" was less than 100 mb of additional graphics memory.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

FWIW: I use superglue to attach front vent/rear vent fans. Works great, at least as good as screws.

Louis

#15 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:32 PM

Well I can not see anything wrong with using a super glue to mount to a computer case in the appropriate location, but I do see an issue with using wire ties glued to expansion cards.

The fan its self adds extra weight to the card in question and can cause it to bow or bend, this can cause weak solder joints on the boards to break loose.

Bruce.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users