Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Website blocking software for young kids

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 supertoy

supertoy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

A friend of mine has a 10 year old son who's been surfing inappropriate websites. He's technologically inept and I was wondering if there is any website blocking software that easy and effective to use. Using OS X 10.6.5/Safari. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barthez

Barthez

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

I'm not familiar with Macs, so I can't speak about programs available there, but your friend should try using free services like FamilyShield from OpenDNS. You can read a little bit more about it here too, in OpenDNS blog. Wikipedia has entry on OpenDNS if you need any further information.

HTH

Barthez

Posted Image

#3 supertoy

supertoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:41 PM

Thank! Looks decent. I'll pass it along.

If anybody else has other suggestions, shoot'em my way.

#4 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:48 PM

I have also been experimenting with our home router recently and realized that they can provide a limited set of controls of what goes through the network. If your friend has a router that has a web-browser configuration page he may be able to do such things as block specific computers from accessing the internet at odd hours to blocking websites. While there are many ways to bypass these controls a ten year old might not have enough technical knowledge to want to bypass this general deterrent.

In addition, within the Mac system preferences Parental Controls can be enabled for individual accounts. If properly configured this could allow for a greater (if not perfect) degree of control of the child's computer usage. All of this does require practice, but might be a good place to start without having to invest in third party software.
(Instructor) You put a Linux machine within a Windows machine within a Mac? That's great! Now where is that paper on BitTorrents vulnerabilities that was due last week?

#5 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

One more suggestion I might make is that "Screen Sharing" can be enabled on a Mac fairly quickly, at least on a home network. From there it doesn't take much to set up a computer (doesn't have to be a Mac) to view and even control the screen using a VLC client.
(Instructor) You put a Linux machine within a Windows machine within a Mac? That's great! Now where is that paper on BitTorrents vulnerabilities that was due last week?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users