Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search EveryThing

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:57 PM

Hello!
I did a search for this software but I couldn't find it on the forum. I love this software. You just start typing at the top.It will find all your files and folders. It's like search in Windows but I think it's a whole lot better.
Try it out and see what you think or if you already have it please comment.

http://www.voidtools.com/

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:03 PM

It was here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic233547.html

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 garybear

garybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:16 PM

It was here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic233547.html

Hello friend!!
Thanks!! I couldn't find it on the forum. Looks like it's pretty popular. I really like it.
Thanks for your reply my friend! Do you use PC Wizard 2010???

#4 garybear

garybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:42 PM

Hello friend!!
Do you think this should be pined sense it appears to be very popular??
It seems like everyone really likes it!!

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

Do you use PC Wizard 2010???

No I don't.

Hello friend!!
Do you think this should be pined sense it appears to be very popular??
It seems like everyone really likes it!!

No, I don't feel the need for pinning it. Then we get into the debate of why one is pinned and not another and it becomes a popularity contest. Then people start choosing sides over getting their favorites pinned.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 garybear

garybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:00 AM

No, I don't feel the need for pinning it. Then we get into the debate of why one is pinned and not another and it becomes a popularity contest. Then people start choosing sides over getting their favorites pinned.

I hear you friend.I have a lot of favorites that I share with my friends. Search EveryThing is just one of them.I have every thing I need and seldom try any thing new any more. I'm sure you do also, so won't bother you with my Apps. I do have some good ones.
This is a great forum and I'm really enjoying myself.Thank you for your reply my friend. I'm really a good guy. just not always understood.I do have a way of stating what's on my mind, and that tends to get me in trouble some times.
Thank you my friend. You are very much appreciated by this old man!!

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:32 AM

Gary, if your applications are FREE you can post them here:

Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Apps

Right now there are 168 posts in the topic, if you have time you can go through to see if they are already listed.

As stated by by Grinler in the first post

Please, only suggest programs that are known to be free of spyware or other malware.

#8 garybear

garybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:15 AM

Hello!!

Gary, if your applications are FREE you can post them here:

Cool! I'll check it out.
Thank you!! This is a great forum and very nice people live here.:thumbsup:<br>Now that's quite a list. I seen almost all of my Apps. listed.<br>I just did a quick review. I will check it out better latter.<br>Thanks!!<br>

Edited by garybear, 17 March 2011 - 02:10 PM.

#9 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:12 PM

Looks OK i guess but i find Windows Search to be quite effective :)

#10 garybear

garybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:57 PM

Looks OK i guess but i find Windows Search to be quite effective :)

Hello!
Use it a while and you will change your mind. It's the best thing sense sliced bread IMHO.Windows search can't hold a candle to Search Every Thing

#11 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:08 PM

I agree....I've been using 'Everything' for ages, very useful and portable as well. Agent Ransack is another excellent Windows search replacement, been around for ages....still a favourite of mine tho.

There's a good list of search replacements on the link below....

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-desktop-search-utility.htm

Edited by mrfingerz, 20 March 2011 - 09:30 PM.

It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#12 FayB

FayB

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:22 PM

I use AgentRansack at work for finding txt data inside my program files. I liked the old XP windows search but not so thrilled with the new Win 7 search. I do use it for some things. I have not spent a lot of time messing with it so perhaps I just have not figure it out yet, but have not been able to find files when I only know part of the file name. AgentRansack will do that., but it does not show results as you type like Everything does. At home, I don't often need to search for files containing certain text, but I do it a lot at work and AgenRansack is really handy for that. I went ahead and downloaded Everything and it seems to work great at finding files. Don't know if you can use it to find text inside a file though.

Fay

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:30 PM

I started using Search Everything when I was using XP. The search function in XP could take a long time if I had to search the entire computer for something. It's much better and faster in Win7, but I got used to Search Everything so I still use it.

After I uninstall a program, I use Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders. I then open up Search Everything, search for files and folders connected to program I uninstalled, and if any are found, hold down the CTRL key, click on the files to highlight them, right click, then delete them all at one time. No need to search out the files one by one to find leftovers from the uninstall.

#14 garybear

garybear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:25 PM

Hello Queen Evie!!

After I uninstall a program, I use Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders. I then open up Search Everything, search for files and folders connected to program I uninstalled, and if any are found, hold down the CTRL key, click on the files to highlight them, right click, then delete them all at one time. No need to search out the files one by one to find leftovers from the uninstall.

I love it. That's exactly how I get rid of left over files after uninstalling a program.Now we have to get rid of the registry entries left behind.I have my way of doing that,but I can not discus that here on BC. I can get rid of all of them also with one click .I can use regedit to get rid of them one at a time. My program is not approved here on BC, but there isn't much left when I uninstall a program.Revo does a decent job in the registry but not good enough for me. I haven't uninstalled a program in a long time. I have all the Apps. I need and I'm happy with what I have.
Nice reply Queen. I like your style! :thumbsup:

#15 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:25 AM

Use it a while and you will change your mind. It's the best thing sense sliced bread IMHO.Windows search can't hold a candle to Search Every Thing

Thank you Gary,i may have to reconsider :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users