Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netflix in Windows Media Center

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisMN

ChrisMN

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

Hello,

I have been trying to access my Netflix account from Windows Media Center and I know that the Netflix tile is supposed to appear to the left of the "Recorded Video" tile, however it does not show up, and I have been unsuccessful in all of my attempts(See below). (Note that all other features of Windows Media Center work fine)

Before I begin, let me tell you all about my system:

- Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate x32 Service Pack 2 (Completely up to date with Windows Update-3/16/2011).
- Intel Celeron processor 2.66Ghz w/ 2Gb RAM.
- Mainboard: Asus P5S800-VM
- Graphics: ATI Radeon 9200 Series

What I have tried so far...

The Netflix tile not appearing in Windows Media Center is actually a common problem, according to this Microsoft Support page (In which I tried all of the possible options it listed to fix, all unsuccessful)

I have also attempted everything listed here in a Microsoft Support forum.

Note: This is only for Netflix in Windows Media Center, I am able to watch Netflix using a web browser just fine, so I know Silverlight is working right.......

After waiting a few days, numerous reboots, and attempts at the above I am at wits end with this... Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

--Chris

Edited by hamluis, 17 March 2011 - 11:41 AM.
Moved from Vista forum to Audio & Video Applications.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

@ hamluis:

I considered placing this topic in the Audio Video forum, however according to Microsoft(the first link in my post) this is a known problem with Windows Vista ONLY. So I found it necessary to add the topic to the Windows Vista forum.
Anyway, thanks for the correction.

Edited by ChrisMN, 17 March 2011 - 07:59 PM.

#3 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:11 AM

*UPDATE

I have attempted all of Microsoft's recommended steps numerous times and and after all the steps fail Microsoft says this..

If the previous steps do not resolve the issue, the issue may be caused by some unsupported third-party Windows Media Center menu editing utilities. These utilities may affect the ability for the Netflix option to appear in Windows Media Center. If one of these utilities is installed on the computer, it may be the cause of the issue. Be aware that uninstalling the utility may not always resolve the issue.

Does anyone know how to tell if I have any "unsupported third-party Windows Media Center menu editing utilities"?

Thanks

CMN

Edited by ChrisMN, 18 March 2011 - 01:11 AM.

#4 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:15 PM

Nobody knows what I'm talking about?

#5 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 06:55 PM

I love BC... :thumbsup: thanks.................................................................

Edited by ChrisMN, 24 March 2011 - 11:52 PM.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:03 PM

Sorry you feel that way. Keep in mind that everyone on this site is a volunteer. Rather than replying with "I dunno", people simply don't reply at all. The lack of anyone's being able to help you isn't an indicator that the site is "going downhill". It represents that you do, indeed, have an issue that is tough to figure out.

Anyway, the third party programs that they're referring to is/are programs that you might have installed that work with WMC, which can cause issues with the parent program (in this case, WMC).

I'm not 100% sure what programs would be incompatible with WMC - I don't use that program at all, whatsoever.

I see that MS is no help, so have you contacted Netflix in regards to your issue?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

Netflix has directed me to MS claiming that "it is on their side of the street".

And, I have just barely installed my OS, that included WMC, so unless it comes factory with "unsupported third-party Windows Media Center menu editing utilities" I didn't add any utilities.

I guess I can just try to reinstall the OS again.

Thanks and again, no offense to anyone here.. BC has been of real help in the past.

CMN

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 08:03 PM

I've thrown up the flag here so hopefully someone with some knowledge in this area will jump in and save the day :thumbup2:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

What Operating System do you have, and have you made sure everything is updated?

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#10 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:06 PM

MS Windows Vista x32 fully updated.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/RKIwxEGuJeORcd41X4CB7OT

Thanks

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:19 PM

Try it this way: Watch instantly in Windows Media Center

#12 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:26 PM

I have done this before, but I will try again...

In Firefox when I click on the link "Try Netflix in Windows Media Center Now" it says "ALERT: Firefox doesn't know how to open this address because the protocol(windowsmediacenterapp) isn't associated with any program.

So I try in Internet Explorer... It takes me to the next page(that says to click start and go to Windows Media Center) and nothing happens. WMC doesn't open up, and if I manually open WMC the netflix tile still isn't there.

#13 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

Also, I have done everything listed here numerous times with no success.

CMN

Edited by ChrisMN, 24 March 2011 - 11:33 PM.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:37 PM

When you get that window go to C:\Windows\ehome and select the ehshell.exe file and see if it works.

#15 ChrisMN

ChrisMN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 232 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:42 PM

No, the Netflix tile still does not appear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users