Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opera 11 does not show up in Add/Remove lists

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 teaside

teaside

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:16 PM

Running IE 6 SP2 I decided to try Opera 11 since a few sites were nattering at me about no longer supporting IE6 Yes I did try IE7 and IE8 and went back to IE6. I just cannot leave what was working until I screw it up. I did a System Restore backup point just prior to downloading but it cannot restore. I also used a registry restore program called ERDNT. It said it did restore to this morning's cold boot data but Opera still shows up on desktop icons. Opera does not show up on Add/Remove lists. The site I downloaded from was CNET and it had a green WOT symbol beside it so I have to believe someone. I just want my old system back. Anyone? teaside

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:20 PM

P.S. Opera does not show up in Revo Uninstaller either. teaside

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

I'm willing to bet that the icon is just that, an icon that doesn't work if you click it. If it doesn't work you can right click the icon and delete it.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

Animal: Thanx for fast response. You are right from what I can now see. I kept getting a popup telling me to download the latest Adobe crappola and when I hit the cancel box that in turn made the desktop resemble an artsy-fartsy page taking up about 15 to 20% of the top of the screen. I seem to be back in the land of "old but good" once more. Stay tuned for at least one more update. Now I must write on the blackboard 100 times "I must not upgrade any more browsers EVER AGAIN".

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

FWIW I Love Opera. I started with Opera 2.0 in 1996. Glad things are working ok for you now.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 teaside

teaside
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

Animal, you were right and I am now good to go. Typing this is hard after writing my mantra so many times. <_< Thank you. teaside

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users