Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot for XP SP3 x32 and Win7 x64 on a single pc...?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Econstantine

Econstantine

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:14 PM

Quick question.

Can I make a dual boot for XP SP3 x32 and Win7 x64 on a single pc. Both will have their own hdd(primary master probably XP and primary slave Win7 x64 or other way around)...possible?

I'll have that project with an Asus K8V SE Deluxe mobo which is 64bit capable. Haven't tried it on that yet.(Using Win7 x64 on a newer pc).

I saw an old Compaq desktop with only 1.5gb ram with Win7 x32 and it was quite zippy(yeah surprised me really! :blink: ). It even had Adobe CS3, Cyberlink video editors(Power Director/Producer, Autocad 2005 in it in addition to Avast IS ver6(no firewall/behavioral shield, Comodo firewall(D+ max settings --sandbox disabled), standard Office 2007, PDFXchange Viewer suite etc..

Owner friend just did an experiment with that old Compaq and when it was finished invited us for a couple of beers :cool: and showed what he had done.

So me thinking....I might be able to try making that project but with an x64 capable mobo. Although I have not used x64 on it(even after I ditched it) it was zippy in XP x32 ram maxed out with Norton IS 2009 --with Malwarebytes, Superantispyware Pro/ ACAD 2008 / SAS Jump Statistical software / MathCAD / hmmm...forgot the rest. :lmao:

Just asking:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 felmy

felmy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:16 AM

If XP was installed first dual boot should work just fine.

#3 Econstantine

Econstantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

Just to make it clear..(sorry), primary master hdd with XP SP3 x32 installed first. Then primary slave hdd with Windows 7 x64(still for formatting). No problems whatsoever...? Are there any points I'd have to consider..? Any additional tips..?

Thank you :thumbup2:

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:51 AM

Just remember to install the correct drivers (starting with the chipset driver). Then a good anti virus utility, and finally download & install Windows updates (but not hardware updates / drivers - always obtain them from the oem websites).

#5 felmy

felmy

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

No problems whatsoever...?

Right. There shouldn't be any problems if XP is installed before you installed Windows 7. The Windows 7 setup will pick up the existing XP installation and create a little boot menu for you that allows you to choose which operating system to boot :).

#6 Econstantine

Econstantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:24 PM

Just remember to install the correct drivers (starting with the chipset driver). Then a good anti virus utility, and finally download & install Windows updates (but not hardware updates / drivers - always obtain them from the oem websites).

Thank you and I will remember that. I have downloaded the Windows updates from all patch Tuesday and will install them manually after driver installation. My security set-up will be AvastFree/Prevx free/Privatefirewall --all freeware :)

Right. There shouldn't be any problems if XP is installed before you installed Windows 7. The Windows 7 setup will pick up the existing XP installation and create a little boot menu for you that allows you to choose which operating system to boot :).

I plan to have two primary hdd's so the scenario I was thinking was when I want to use Windows 7 I'll go the BIOS and chose the hdd that has Win7 as the 1st boot device. Same goes for XP. I have experienced a dual selection but when I removed the Windows 7 it remained there prompting me to select Win7 or an older Windows version thus the BIOS scenario. I had to reformat the XP disk to remove the boot selection. (Tried EasyBCD to remedy that but was a failed attempt)

Thanks and will get back here. :)

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

Thank you and I will remember that. I have downloaded the Windows updates from all patch Tuesday and will install them manually after driver installation. My security set-up will be AvastFree/Prevx free/Privatefirewall --all freeware :)

Good for you :). Sounds like you've got your bases covered. Enjoy and feel free to ask if there's anything else we can do to help.

#8 Econstantine

Econstantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:06 PM

Thanks will get back here when there's something that does not go right. Incidentally I see that there is a Privatefirewall AvastFree conflict of some sort going-on. If I encounter that I'll use Avira Personal 10(also freeware!) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users