Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista system freezes randomly

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 brownzout

brownzout

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

While using my computer, it will freeze without any true pattern except that I can ensure freezing by trying to play a larger game! Though it is rarer, I also get freezes while working in safe mode. Following a freeze, I have to run a registry cleaner or the freezes tend to come earlier until I cannot fully boot to Windows without a freeze.

Though I have avast as my anti-virus, I have non-active malware programs I use when things just don't seem right. Through these programs, I have removed a number of trojans, backdoors, adware and other items I did not even understand. My main browser is Opera, though I have also tried to update Internet Explorer to IE9 RC. I can no longer get Internet Explorer to perform and go on line. Through internet searches, I attempted to use information from other forums without success. Though I tried to be careful, I may have compounded the problem when I thought I understood what I was doing. Since I do not understand it, I have stayed out of the Registry except to use CCleaner (I removed all IObit programs).

When I tried to submit a Hijackthis report to you, Hijackthis was grayed out, when I tried to "run as administrator" and Hijackthis would not complete a full scan without this feature!

I am using 32 bit Windows Vista Version 6.0 (Build 6002: Service Pack 2). I am not sure I removed all of the malware or if this is just registry related or damage I have done trying to fix things. Knowing how complicated this may be and understanding your work load, I am willing to wait (more or less patently) until you can get to this case! Thank you for your time and consideration on my case!

Edited by brownzout, 16 March 2011 - 06:06 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brownzout

brownzout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:09 AM

UPDATE - It appears I have been able to resolve the problem!

As a partial fix, I increased my virtual memory which allowed me to work for 2 or 3 hours before the random shutdowns started again. As the problem began again, I noticed that I was seeing "SPTD" in my logs and other areas. I failed to list the sites where I found helpful information because I have been searching so many sites without much luck.

I had installed Daemon Tools (may be misspelled) and found it not to be very useful for me, so I uninstalled it! Unfortunately, Daemon Tools plants the system file "SPTD" which can only be removed by returning to the download site and going through the steps as if you were going to download the program! When the download is requested, the program asks if you want to install or uninstall the program! The only way I found to get rid of the file SPTD was by using this uninstall method as listed above.

For the last couple of days, since I removed the SPTD file, there haven't been any freezes of any type on my system. Speed and stability have returned as if the system was brand new. Since I can only cover such a short period of lack of freezes, I do not want to vouch for this being the only problem I had. If I notice any recurrence of malfunctions, I will report it immediately on this site!

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:04 AM

It appears that this issue is resolved, therefore I am closing the topic. If that is not the case and you need or wish to continue with this topic, please send me or any Moderator a Personal Message (PM) that you would like this topic re-opened.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users