Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win me

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 shyjan

shyjan

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:35 PM

A friend has a win me hp pavilion 7845.
I tried to boot it and it was asking for a cd. She does not have the recovery disks.
I tried to boot with windows 2000 and it froze saying beginning to read disk.
I want to reformat and load win 2ooo ....
any ideas
thanks in advance
Jan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:22 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

How far does ME get when it tries to boot?
Do you ever get to the desktop?

If you are getting any error messages please post them exactly.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:22 PM

Well this is a funny one if its asking for the CD maybe the main files are corrupt or the hard drive has gone bad. You really need a bootable floppy disc, download Windows ME - Mirror1. You need someone with a floppy drive to make the bootable floppy.

Now WinME was a pain because you can't boot to DOS without a bootable floppy as Win98SE you could. Once made change the boot sequence in the BIOS to floppy, insert the floppy disc and startup the computer. At the A:\ you could try a system restore to see if it boots up then. Type in CD C:\Windows\Command and enter then type Scanreg /restore and enter with a space in between. Select the earliest date shown and follow the instructions.

You could Scandisk the drive to check for bad sectors. Bootup from the floppy again and at the A:\ trype in Scandisk C: at the end do a full drive scan then look at the results. If it finds faults while scanning select Fix and continue. You can also Format the drive from the floppy but without a replacement OS there isn't a lot of point. From the floppy just type Format C: and enter the Y to continue. :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:56 AM

Thanks so much for your replies!
The message has changed from first insert the CD to
NTLDR is missing
Since i never throw out anything I still have a win 98 se disk!
It did not boot since in setup do not detect floppy was enabled...
I will try your suggestions
I have a win2000 disk [never throw away old disks] since I work with lots of non-profits ...it does not require a license I can load that
and it should be enough to use for logmein....which is all they really use it for

#5 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:00 AM

scanreg /restore gives me "not ready reading drive e " ?

I did a dir on c:\windows and it showed no files...were they hidden?
It showed a systems directory...I did a dir on that and it showed no files
I am wondering if when I tried to install win 2000 and it froze...if it did some damage to the files.
I did a format c: and it stated: recording bad clusters and is now reformating ...12 % done
Should I do anything before putting in the win2000 disks....I also have win98se disks which would be better?

Edited by shyjan, 17 March 2011 - 07:15 AM.

#6 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:47 AM

I formatted successfully I put in the win2000 disk and it is again stuck with message saying " setup is starting windows 2000"
It has been sitting on that screen for 1/2 hour no activity sounds on cd or HD.

I do have a copy of the 2000 disk i will try
I did an fdisk before putting in the cd and it looked OK one fat partition

#7 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:41 PM

The win 2000 stopped installing
the windows xp disk stopped installing
and it looks like the win 98 disk stopped...no error message...it says copying files needed for windows setup...has been sitting there for 1 hour

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:02 PM

Thanks so much for your replies!
The message has changed from first insert the CD to
NTLDR is missing

Well I don't think you're using WinME because NTLDR isn't part of that system thats from a Win NT system Win2k or above.

It still sounds like you have a bad hard disk you must try Scandisk. :wink:

Keith

#9 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:07 PM

I did a format c: and it stated: recording bad clusters and is now reformating ...12 % done
Should I do anything before putting in the win2000 disks....I also have win98se disks which would be better?

Hard many drives or partitions do you have?

I said doing a Format will also check for bad clusters. Until you sort out the bad drive you won't get anywhere. I looks like you need another hard drive.

Keith

#10 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:05 PM

I ran a disk drive test and scan disk it was ok
All my cds stop .......win 2000 win 98se win xp

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 01:49 PM

Typical user you ask a question and they come back with a different answer.

I ran a disk drive test and scan disk it was ok

With what?

If all CD's don't work you could have a duff or dirty CD drive/lense. You can't really test it on your computer you would have to plug it in to another one.

Keith

#12 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:16 PM

I have one hard drive one partition ...typical support person..
I ran a hard drive test with a cd I made which is bootable and I have a hard drive test on it
Also I have 2 cd drives and they both work. It is when I am installing an OS that the installation stops

#13 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

• Members
  • 1,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:47 AM

Can I make a suggestion?

Try draining the CMOS? Sometimes nasties can lodge in there and cause similar problems, no matter what OS.

There is a walkthrough here in Post 23.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic376877.html/page__st__15

It will do no harm, just revert the Computer back to when it was first built, needing the Date and Time changed in the BIOS.

If it is reformatted it certainly will not need defragging.

It could also provide a good indication of your HDD state.

Edit. I do help disadvantaged people with their Computers, quite successfully and another little Trick I use is to eliminate any Partition that are on the HDD and recreate them after a reboot, meaning to remove the Partition completely, then reboot and come back into the set up, using the OS start up Disk, before trying to instal another OS, even for the exact same OS as they had on their Machine. Some Nasties also hide there only to come back later to haunt us all, unless that is done.

As this Section is devoted to what is considered "Free Software" as support is rarely available from the Manufacturers of the OS and then questionable, at best, I am sure my Advice is very Legal, but, some people could consider it differently if Posted in another Forum? That is simply not the case as NOONE can stop people using the Tools that are build into a Computer from the day it was made, no matter what OS is used by that Computer. (Bit like a Fuel Company wanting to say that you HAVE to use their Particular Brand of Gas on your Vechile that you bought? That is totally rediculious. Yet M$ seems to want to frighten people that way.)

Best of luck, Mate.

Ray.

Edited by Drovers Dog, 19 March 2011 - 03:47 AM.

What ever you give to others, you will get back doubled, Just make sure you only give Nice Things?......DD saying

There is a saying, "You just can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" it means "to be happy with what you have and not look for the impossible"......DD saying

The "Spirit" of the people who died, on that terrible day 9/11 will NEVER REST until such time as the "Imbeciles" that caused it, are eliminated through out the World.....DD saying

What is a Dog?

#14 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 960 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:04 PM

Ok if you have one hard drive C: why is it looking for E:?

Keith

#15 shyjan

shyjan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:51 PM

I believe one cd is d and the other DVD drive is e .....I must have taken a disk out and it was still looking for the data on it. That error was minor.

I was trying both to see if one was bad...they both booted with diag disks I used lifeguard cd to test hard drive.

Thanks Ray good ideas...I will give it another try...
Good point about the legal issues. HP sold all of their PCs with an OS and I have the ME license number on the pc .....at this point I am trying all the disks I have for troubleshooting purposes.....usually the original CDs turn up....if not. it will be another piece of toxic waste in the recyle dump. It is very close to that right now.
Yes, I like to help out non-profits too. I just got 2 laptops from a women's center ..that has me stumped...I am going to post on both of them....one hardware issue and one xp OS issue. I changed hard drives on the exact models and i think I have one good one!!!

Thanks in advance for all your help!
Oh and I would consider trying an open source OS ...I just havent had the time to learn!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users