Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

roles in server 2008 R2 foundation edition I'm not seeing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

Hi all,
Not that this matters, but considering I have a server sitting right next to me, and I'm just getting the feel for it, why don't I see the routing and remote access feature in Server 2008 R2 foundation edition? Not that I'm going to use it, or at least I don't think we need it, unless my family and I go on a whim and my mother tells me to set up a VPN (highly unlikely), but I'm just curious as to why it's not there in the first place. Do I have to enable remote desktop services in roles first before I can see that feature? Thanks.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

Server only loads the most used server roles during installation. The rest of the included roles can be found by going ti add/remove programs, then windows components on the left hand pane. There will be a whole list of other server roles to add like RRAS, Certificate services, ect.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

That's really weird because I don't see RRAS in here anywhere. I checked the features section, and I don't see it. And Add or remove Windows components doesn't exist in Server 2008 R2 I don't think. Or else it just doesn't come up in the search field.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

Gotta love Microsoft they decided to change not only changed the location of the components but the name of the tool to use them as well and the name of the component you seek. :wacko:

You will want to go into the Server Manager since this is essentially where you can add and manage the various roles that can be used on Server 2008. Apparently RRAS is not RRAS anymore it is now Network Policy and Access Services.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft.......
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:22 AM

Oh wow. I guess they did LOL. So thank the lord we don't need it at the moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users