Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless router dropping wireless connection

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Judi_e

Judi_e

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:27 PM

The folks at Bleeping Computer have helped me with computer problems for years, and I love you for it! Now I'm having a router problem and hoping you can be as helpful!

We recently bought new computers, and with them a new N router and N PCIe cards. Things worked fine for a few days, then we had some problems with the router not connecting at the right speed, I reset it to factory defaults and started over. Now we're having trouble with it dropping the wireless connection, sometimes once a day, sometimes 3 times in 10 minutes.

When this happens the wired Ethernet connections are fine (ie. my husband can continue playing online games on the XBOX and is not logged out of XBOX Live). The wireless just disappears. Our router does not appear in the list of available networks, and nothing wireless (two desktops, a laptop and an ipod touch) can connect to the router. Then after a minute or two our router appears in the available networks and the computer will automatically connect back up to it.

I've tried most of the channels.....on channels 1 and 2 the speed is only 130mbps (should be 300).....on all other channels I've tried we get 300mbps but the connection periodically drops. There are at any given time two to six other networks available, so I'm assuming the problem is interference.

I'm really hoping you can help me out! Is there something besides the channel I can change that might make it less susceptible to interference? It's really annoying the crap out of us!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

Hello,

It sounds to me that your router is loosing its settings. In the memory of the router when you go to its I.P. address you can save the settings. But the connection will drop if the settings are "changed" or "forgotten".

I had this experience with my friends router, it kept dropping signals because the router could not retain the settings.

The solution:
1.Go into your router ip address in your browser (Ethernet connected)
2.Go threw the steps of setting up the wireless.

If it keeps dropping it then I might contact the manufacturer for a new one (1 year warranty) :rip:

Is it a trend-net router? :blink:

#3 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

JUICYboy,

Actually the router is keeping it's settings just fine, the wireless signal just disappears every now and then. But when I go into the settings they are unchanged.

The router is a Cisco Valet Plus.

#4 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:01 PM

Okay,

I checked it out, it seems it does not have a antenna (it might of been lose).

Okay...

Does it drop the signal even when you are close to the router?

#5 Judi_e

Judi_e
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:04 AM

Yes, the wireless signal seems to completely disappear. It doesn't appear in a list of available networks on either of the desktops upstairs, the laptop 5 feet away, or my ipod touch wherever I'm at. I originally thought the router was rebooting, but then my husband was in the same room with it when it did this and all the lights on the router were still lit up, and his connection to XBox Live was not interrupted because the XBox is connected to the router with an Ethernet cable. So now I'm fairly certain it's just an interference thing, but I can't seem to fix it. I've tried changing channels and I can't find one that this doesn't happen on.

#6 JUICYboy

JUICYboy

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2011 - 06:24 PM

Im sorry I forgot I was trying to help :inlove:

Anyways sounds to me that you have a bad router :rip: .

If it does not work on any channel the transmitter inside is the issue. It happens :ranting:

Is it under 1 year old? (Maybe they can reimburse you a new one :graduate: )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users