Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spam In Other Forums On-Line

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:22 PM

I had a post in a forum at another site, . . .

The administrator contacted me and said that the topic was removed, I think it was do to someone posting spam there, . .

I am trying to find out why the whole post was removed as I was told this in a reply when asking, . .

My guess is that Jeff thought the topic was spam.

If the first post of a topic is spam, the only way to remove it is to remove the entire topic (not just the post). Otherwise, just the offending post can be removed.

If there is disagreement about whether the post was spam, only Jeff can address that.

Regards.

What is this guy trying to say to me ??

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:34 PM

He was stating that the very first post in a thread also known as the topic, was considered spam by a staff member. He was letting you know that a reply of yours to that topic now considered spam was removed when the entire topic/thread was deleted. He was further explaining that your reply could not be left behind, as the starting topic again considered spam was removed. Forum software does not allow replies to starting topics to remain behind if topic #1 is removed.

Does that help explain it?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

Hello Animal, . .

OK if the topic was not spam,and was a mistake, . . can he restore it ?

Thank you.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:52 PM

He should be able to, depending on how his forum permission levels are set and how the forum administrator has the forum software configured.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:17 PM

O-Kee Doe-Kee !

Thanks again.

living again !

vrwqzc.gif

#6 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:35 PM

Spam on almsot every site makes it very hard for new LEGIT members to register ill tell you that! (They think everyone is a spammer)

But it pays to keep trying!!!

One site i am on,it took me 4 months to get on,THEY KEPT DENYING MY REGISTRATION and i knew it was due to spam issues.....

I emailed the admin and asked why i was being denied and they surprisingly responded and said "We have a right to deny anyone we want" and i replied saying "I am not a spammer,I KNOW THATS WHAT THIS IS ABOUT!!" and i tried to register again and was denied.......

A week later i tried again AND I WAS FINALLY ACCEPTED :)

I am glad too because that site is still running VB2.3 and its excellent!! (Speed,etc) Most VB sites are quite slow due to having more bloat,etc....

I do understand staff on sites being cautious,SPAM IS OUT OF CONTROL and when you see someone register with a nickname THAT LOOKS LIKE A SPAMMER,you take action before the spam starts..

It IS annoying though!

Edited by 4dude, 19 March 2011 - 09:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users