Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use original bloated restore disc to do a bloat-free install of XP??

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Phateless

Phateless

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:54 AM

Hello all, long-time forum junkie, first time poster here. I've used ComboFix a few times and been thrilled with it. It recovered my computer when I was getting ready to pull the hard drive to save my data.

Anyway, it's now been a full 5 years that I've had this machine and never reformatted. :blink:

I have the original restore disc that came with this machine but I can't figure out if there's a way to do a clean install of windows. I REALLY hate bloatware and the original disc comes laden with it! I tried on the first day I bought it and it booted up with all the bloatware intact. :angry:

I also have a Vista upgrade cd but I think I'd be better off with XP, although if I can do a clean install of Vista as opposed to a bloated install of XP I might opt for that.

I used the Recovery Disc Creator link on the desktop, hoping that would create an XP install cd free of bloatware, but I haven't tried it yet. Best I can tell the OEM restore cd ONLY lets you restore to factory bloated stock; it doesn't let you cherry pick and only install windows.

Can anyone help?

Machine is a Toshiba Satellite M115-S3094.
Original OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition.
It's got 1gb of RAM because I added some on day 1.
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=1468771&rpn=PSMB0U&modelFilter=M115-S3094&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

I'm not sure why you can't just install XP and then uninstall the apps you don't want. Uninstalling them won't take more than 5 minutes total.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You are correct that the restore cd will not let you "cherry pick" what you want.
It installs back to basically an out of the box state.

Make sure that you have your data backed up before you proceed!!

What I do often is use my XP home cd with a customers licence to ensure a pristine load of Windows then install the necessary drivers. THis can be done easily with XP Home.

However, you have Media Center edition. MS didnt ship it very long.
I think you would have a hard time finding a genuine MS Media Center cd.

Best bet is to go with what you have as it is designed for the system then uninstall the programs that you dont want.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

There is a program called PC Decrapifier which gets rid of all that bloatware.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

#5 mrfingerz

mrfingerz

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:07 PM

There is this program for supposedly removing bloatware as well.................http://slimcomputer.com/
It's nice to be important, it's much more important to be nice.

#6 Phateless

Phateless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:18 PM

I'm not sure why you can't just install XP and then uninstall the apps you don't want. Uninstalling them won't take more than 5 minutes total.

Believe me, I tried when I first got the computer, but I couldn't get everything and there are always remnants in the registry, etc. It's just not as clean as a fully fresh install.

Hello and welcome to the forum!

You are correct that the restore cd will not let you "cherry pick" what you want.
It installs back to basically an out of the box state.

Make sure that you have your data backed up before you proceed!!

What I do often is use my XP home cd with a customers licence to ensure a pristine load of Windows then install the necessary drivers. THis can be done easily with XP Home.

However, you have Media Center edition. MS didnt ship it very long.
I think you would have a hard time finding a genuine MS Media Center cd.

Best bet is to go with what you have as it is designed for the system then uninstall the programs that you dont want.

Hmm, thanks for the good ideas. Too bad Media Center is such a freak, lol.

There is a program called PC Decrapifier which gets rid of all that bloatware.

http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/

I've heard of this one! Apparently it works well? Have you used it?

There is this program for supposedly removing bloatware as well.................http://slimcomputer.com/

I'll have to give this one a try too.

Another question guys - should I give Vista a try or am I truly better off with XP?

Edited by Phateless, 16 March 2011 - 07:18 PM.

#7 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:46 AM

Another question guys - should I give Vista a try or am I truly better off with XP?

Alot of people have been complaining about Vista for years now and about how bad it is and giving it negative reviews but really, it's up to you if you want to upgrade or not. I believe support for Windows XP will be halted at some stage (in 2014 I think). So maybe you might even want to consider upgrading to Windows 7.

Edited by master131, 17 March 2011 - 05:49 AM.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:20 AM

April 8, 2014, all Windows XP support, including security updates and security-related hotfixes, will end.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:03 AM

Regarding some of the comments above:

1) It doesn't matter if there are "remnants in the registry". That will not hurt anything or effect performance. If your goal is to uninstall unwanted apps just go ahead and do that.
2) There is absolutely nothing wrong with Vista. I run XP, Vista and W7 on various machines and have always been very happy with all three - as have millions of others. If you want to install Vista there is no reason not to do so.

#10 Phateless

Phateless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

Alot of people have been complaining about Vista for years now and about how bad it is and giving it negative reviews but really, it's up to you if you want to upgrade or not. I believe support for Windows XP will be halted at some stage (in 2014 I think). So maybe you might even want to consider upgrading to Windows 7.

I have to admit, Vista has always been very buggy and irritating in my experience.

April 8, 2014, all Windows XP support, including security updates and security-related hotfixes, will end.

I bought this machine is 2006 so I really doubt I'll still be using it in 2014. If I am I'll finally upgrade to Vista then. :P

Regarding some of the comments above:

1) It doesn't matter if there are "remnants in the registry". That will not hurt anything or effect performance. If your goal is to uninstall unwanted apps just go ahead and do that.
2) There is absolutely nothing wrong with Vista. I run XP, Vista and W7 on various machines and have always been very happy with all three - as have millions of others. If you want to install Vista there is no reason not to do so.

1. My goal is keep this machine as lean and light as possible for better performance.
2. Are there any specific and concrete advantages to running Vista over XP?

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

Again, extra registry entries do not effect performance.

Choose whichever OS you like.

#12 Phateless

Phateless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:02 PM

Again, extra registry entries do not effect performance.

So you're saying that I'll see no improvement in performance reformatting now as opposed to just doing a major purge on programs that I'm not using?

Btw, can anyone recommend a good duplicate remover? I've been playing with CloneSpy and it works ok but can be a bit confusing.

Edited by Phateless, 20 March 2011 - 12:03 PM.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:06 PM

Uninstalling programs will not effect performance either. It will only free up some disc space.

Why don't we just start at the top. Are you having any specific problems with your system? What, exactly, are your goals? What do you want to accomplish?

#14 Phateless

Phateless
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

Uninstalling programs will not effect performance either. It will only free up some disc space.

Why don't we just start at the top. Are you having any specific problems with your system? What, exactly, are your goals? What do you want to accomplish?

No specific problems, just a few minor issues that MS onecare security scanner says it can't remove, as well as general purpose slowing over time. As I mentioned, this machine has been up and running for 5 years without a reformat so I just think it's time for some housecleaning. I also get an error message every time I start windows and firefox's search from url bar feature no longer works. Not big issues, just bugs that make me feel like it's time for a full wipe.

It's had a few infections in the past here and there which have all been successfully removed by combofix, spyware doctor, malwarebytes, hijackthis, or something along those lines. My goal is just to clean house and make it run a little lighter, leaner and faster.

Edited by Phateless, 20 March 2011 - 12:13 PM.

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

I've never been a fan of reinstalling the OS just because it hasn't been done for years. But it's your system, so if that's what you want to do, so be it. Just use whatever disc you have and then uninstall whatever you don't want afterward. It will not effect performance one iota if you do it this way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users