Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot get Printer Installed Correctly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hwhitney

hwhitney

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:12 AM

Ok, so when my old printer at work died recently I replaced it with an HP Color LaserJet CP2025. It seemed to install correctly but when I printed things - I think just from Adobe software like Photoshop (we have CS5) it would give me a PCL XL error. Sometimes it would print correctly, other times it would print the error. Also when I tried to print a custom sized page under 4 inches wide it would print blank. It also took forever to print even a Word Doc. I contacted HP and they had me install a univeral print driver. Then when I tried printing from Photoshop it would only print partial pages and leave off text. It also kept popping up with bizarre errors like Photoshop is not compatible with this printer and things of that sort that I had not seen before. I gave up on tech support for the time being, uninstalled the printer and reinstalled it. When it got to the part where it is setting up the device, it hung for a while, and then eventually failed, saying device setup has failed to complete. I could still print from it, but it recognized the printer as the wrong model number (CP2024) and had weird issues like not letting me print a PDF unless I clicked printer preferences first - which also no longer had options listed like before other than factory defaults - and it prints whatever number of copies was previously entered even if I changed it. I then deleted/uninstalled every HP software from the PC and did a clean install. It is now recognized as the correct model, but every time I get to the part where it is setting up device it hangs and then fails, and all the odd problems are still present. I contacted tech support again and after talking forever the only thing they fixed was the slow printing by having me switch to a shorter USB cable. They concluded that it is "An operating system problem" because I am able to successfully install the printer on a laptop. Both the PC and laptop are running XP Pro, though the laptop is SP2 and the PC is SP3. I can't test Photoshop errors on the laptop though because it is not installed, and it is probably too old and slow to run it anyway. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the printer many times, including on the administrator account, from the disc and from the drivers tech support had me download. Still the same result. The printer is usable, but annoying as anything and not functioning properly, obviously. If anyone has any ideas please let me know!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Poophead :P

Poophead :P

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:37 PM

I haven't had any problems with my H-P's and don't pretend to be any kind of authority, but I see where you've been waiting all day so I googled the symptom and came up with this:

Try this

File > Print... > Properties > Advanced
Disable "Advanced Printing Features"
Disable "Print Optimizations"

It may not help, but at least it won't hurt anything, and you know somebody's watching out for you...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users