Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No audio after installing SP3, and cannot uninstall

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Will S

Will S

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:55 AM

I have been running XP with SP2 for years, and after a virus problem a few months ago, (which BleepingComputer helped me remove), I decided to move up to SP3. After it was installed, followed by 68 updates, everything seemed to be working well, until I tried to play an audio file. My system shows no audio device installed. I tried to find a solution to the problem, but what I found is that the Realtek HD audio adapter (which is built in to my Toshiba A105-2141 laptop, is not compatible with SP3.

So I decided to uninstall SP3, and stay with SP2. I have followed the procedures to removing SP3, but it uninstall wizard "cannot find a file", and then announces that SP3 was no uninstalled.

I would like to restore audio to my computer, either with a fix to work with SP3, or by going back to SP2. Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:51 AM

<<...Realtek HD audio adapter (which is built in to my Toshiba A105-2141 laptop, is not compatible with SP3...>>

Can you post a reference for this, please?

FWIW: Loss of audio usually indicates damaged audio drivers...overcome by reinstalling the audio drivers.

Louis

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

I agree with Louis - reinstall your sound drivers.
Here is the link to the Toshiba drivers.

It states on the site that they work with SP2 and 3.
I have never seen the SP3 update disable the audio drivers but anything is possible.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Will S

Will S
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:10 AM

Thanks for the replies, but I have removed and re-installed those drivers, possible 5 times, to no avail. This seems to be a well-documented issue, as there are a lot of hits on google about it. Most of them are like this one:
Realtek HD problem with sp3
which say to revert back to SP2, which I have been unable to do. Can you help me with either a fix/patch for SP3, or a rollback to SP2?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 10:20 AM

Well...I'd like something other than 1 person's opinion about a problem...which I find doesn't exist on my system which employs Realtek HD (I have 2 systems).

When I Google...I see any number of problems users have had with Realtek HD...but most of those seem to be detection, not functionality after installing SP3.

Since you have a Toshiba...is the Toshiba website one of those documenting said problem?

Be that as it may...it's your right to follow any guidance put forth by anyone. If it solves your problem, it would be nice to know that said link can be used by others who may have a similar situation.

Louis

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:21 PM

I find no reference on the Toshiba site about an issue with Realtek audio and XP SP3.
Nor have I aver encountered such an issue.

Personally I dont know how much I would trust John Help Go Go Go's website.
There is a link at the bottom of the artice referencing Reaktek audio disappearing but it takes you to an uninstall tool. I would like to see a verifiable reference to this.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users