Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen of Death HELP!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kesselnleafs

Kesselnleafs

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:05 AM

Ok, so last night I ran a quick scan with Avast Internet Security and it found 6 highly infected files.
I wasn't so sure what they were but I trusted Avast and Deleted them all. After that, it asked me to restart
and run the boot time scan. I did that. So when my computer restarted,the black screen comes up that gives you the option to run in safe mode etc, then xp loading screen came up and right after it, the blue screen of death showed up. After seeing it for the first time, I restarted my computer again and again yet it still showed up. I even tried booting in safe mode, safe mode with newtworking and Safe mode with command prompt but still no luck! Help! Please I can't afford another computer for school work!

This is what the blue screen says:

" A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again,
follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/ F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF8BDF528,0x00000000,0xC000000E,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I would follow their instructions, but my computer won't even start up!

Edited by Kesselnleafs, 16 March 2011 - 08:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:21 AM

FWIW: STOP 7B error general info:

0x0000007B: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
Windows lost access to the system partition or boot volume during the startup process. Typical causes: Installing incorrect device drivers when installing or upgrading storage adapter hardware, or a virus.

I will ask someone from the BC Malware Team to take a look, I will list this on our Unbootable Computers thread. Be patient :).

Louis

#3 Kesselnleafs

Kesselnleafs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:32 AM

Ok. Thanks alot :) How long could it take though, because my whole family has to use it.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:46 AM

I can't predict times...all members and Staff...are volunteers and I have no way of determining just when/who decides to go online.

Louis

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:54 AM

Hello Kesselnleafs,
Do you remember what Avast detected/what files were deleted or how the malware was called?

In case we need it, do you have an XP CD at hand?

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#6 Kesselnleafs

Kesselnleafs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:37 PM

Hey,
I think Avast detected a couple of registry stuff that was "highly infected" and some other regular files in my documents. It was about 6 of them. I checked all the boxes. And no I unfortunately dont have an XP Cd in hand. The person who gave me the computer already had XP installed and Im not sure I can contact that person anymore. But I do have a copy of XP 05', 06' and 2004 but Im not sure if my broken pc uses any of those.

#7 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:40 AM

Please try to reboot in safe mode and let me know what the last driver is you see on screen before the BSOD occurs (no need to type out the whole line, the filename is enough).

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#8 Kesselnleafs

Kesselnleafs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:11 AM

The last thing before the BSOD is "Windows/System32/Mup.sys"

#9 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,317 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:39 AM

Lets first have a look at the MBR of your drive.

Try this please. You will need a USB drive.

Download GETxPUD.exe to the desktop of your clean computer
  • Run GETxPUD.exe
  • A new folder will appear on the desktop.
  • Open the GETxPUD folder and click on the get&burn.bat
  • The program will download xpud_0.9.2.iso, and upon finished will open BurnCDCC ready to burn the image.
  • Click on Start and follow the prompts to burn the image to a CD.
  • Remove the USB & CD and insert it in the sick computer
  • Boot the Sick computer with the CD you just burned
  • The computer must be set to boot from the CD
  • Gently tap F12 and choose to boot from the CD
  • Follow the prompts
  • A Welcome to xPUD screen will appear
  • Press File
  • Expand mnt
  • sda1,2...usually corresponds to your HDD
  • sdb1 is likely your USB
  • Click on the folder that represents your USB drive (sdb1 ?)
  • Press Tool at the top
  • Choose Open Terminal
  • Type the following and press enter:

dd if=/dev/sda of=mbr.bin bs=512 count=1

• Press Enter
  • After it has finished a file will be located on your USB drive named mbr.bin
  • Remove the USB drive and insert it back in your working computer and navigate to mbr.bin, zip it up and upload it here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/submit-malware.php?channel=105

This will allow me to have a look at the MasterBootRecord of your drive and see if it is infected.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users