Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ram Memory DDR2

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:52 AM

Hi There forum members,

If you know, go I soon building a new computer, I have than a DDR3 memory.
But on the old Mobo there is a DDR2 memory.
The Dim DDR2 Ram card is for a pc3200 .
When I have build the Computer, than I want sell the DDR2 ram card.
The DDR2 ram card is a Sync master card.
My question in this is: The DDR2 pc3200 Ram card is that compatible with all DDR2 memories or....... .?
If not, than must I make a note in my advertisement, that it is only for the pc3200 .
From my opinion must I tell, that is not a problem, because, DDR2 is DDR2, but for the secure, I ask this.
It is better that I ask questions about some things, than that I take it and I get hearing, sorry, it don't work.
Thank you for the time, that you spend at my message.

See you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:07 AM

PC3200 is actually DDR. DDR ram will not fit if you try to put it in to a DDR2 or a DDR3 slot.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

@Killerx525,

Thank you for your reply.
That the DDR2 Ram card will not working, when you put it in a DDR3 slot, I know that.
But I did asking this question for the sell.
Look my friend, now I know were I stay with my question, can I make an advertisement after building, just like this:

To buy from particular:

DDR2 Dim card with still 5 years guarantee, for 27 include anti-statistic bag.
I sell this, because I have a new Computer with DDR3 memory.
You get from me no good, money back guarantee.

When this was not possible, than had I a problem, because I don't know how many people are there with a pc3200 system.
So that was the reason that I made this topic with my Ram-question.
About the problem what you get when you put in a Ram card that is not compatible with your system: Well I can sure the people, that they will see self the problem.
You get as first no picture on the screen and your system will not working on a regular way, the system will in that case, reboot after start up and it will be constantly reboot, if you don't take action.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

What killerx525 is saying is that a PC3200 RAM card is not DDR2, it is simply DDR. So if you're sure the computer used DDR2, the PC3200 part must be mistaken. If it really is PC3200, you could not advertise it for sale as DDR2.

If you can find a part number on the memory as well as the SyncMaster brand, including that in the description would enable potential buyers to make sure it's exactly what they want.
Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:40 AM

What killerx525 is saying is that a PC3200 RAM card is not DDR2, it is simply DDR.

I had understand that, but I can sure you that the PC3200 has a DDR2 ram card.
3 years ago bought I an AS400 SyncMaster Ram card for the PC3200 .
I got the AS400 SyncMaster Dimm SDram card.
I asking a DDR3 ram card for the Pc3200, the Salesman gave me the AS400 SyncMaster Dimm SDram.
In the slot there was all a DDR2 ram card.
In year 2010 was I forgotten what type memory card I have, I opened the case, I was looking to the information on the ram card and then was I looking on Internet and I got the information that the AS400 SyncMaster Dimm SDram is compatible with DDR2 .
You know, when I have the stuff in my house and I going at work, than let I after my work, you see, that I have right.
Before I bought a new memory card, was I looking on the pre-installed card what for type it is and on the pre-installed card from Hp, there is the note: PC3200 DDR2 DIMM SDram.
So I have DDR2 and not else.
Look it is my for whatever how I sell the ram card from the old Computer, but the buyer do want know, what the type is.
A Computer has always a DDR2 or DDR3 ram memory.
Okay now can we make a game of yes and no, but I can tell that you cannot mixed the cards, when you do that, than the Computer makes conflict.
I suppose that the information what I got of the AS400 SyncMaster ram card on Internet is correct.
Let we say that the information what I did get is false, than is it amazing that I could all that years, working with the Computer without conflicts.
So I know what I have seen and I can sure you, I am not blind.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 16 March 2011 - 10:42 AM.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,236 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

RadioNorthsea, please don't feel that we are criticizing you or arguing with you, we just want to understand your information accurately, so we can give correct answers to help you. It may just be a simple matter of terminology - if the memory is DDR2 it should be labelled PC2-3200. The most important thing if the memory you have is DDR2 (PC2-3200), as you have said, is to avoid accidentally selling it to someone who wants DDR (PC3200) memory.

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:26 AM

Ok, what don't you do the speccy on the ram and we will verify the exact type of ram.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#8 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:40 AM

once you have speccy here is how to find the ram you need.

Click cpu and look for stock bus speed. Your memory's clock speed should be matched to this.

The naming convention of ddr uses throughput measured in MB/s.

Here is how you calculate it:

ddr throughput
memory clock rate x bus clock multiplir (1) x dual rate (2) x number of bits transferred (64) / bits pe byte (8)

ddr2
memory clock rate x bus clock multiplir (2) x dual rate (2) x number of bits transferred (64) / bits pe byte (8)

ddr3
memory clock rate x bus clock multiplir (4) x dual rate (2) x number of bits transferred (64) / bits pe byte (8)

So I use ddr2 and my bus speed is 200 Mhz. I want memory with a clock rate of 200 Mhz so
200 X 2 X 2 X 64 / 8 = 6400 Mb/s or pc2-6400.

Hope this helps.

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:43 AM

once you have speccy here is how to find the ram you need.

Click cpu and look for stock bus speed. Your memory's clock speed should be matched to this.

The naming convention of ddr uses throughput measured in MB/s.

Here is how you calculate it:

ddr throughput
memory clock rate x bus clock multiplir (1) x dual rate (2) x number of bits transferred (64) / bits pe byte (8)

ddr2
memory clock rate x bus clock multiplir (2) x dual rate (2) x number of bits transferred (64) / bits pe byte (8)

ddr3
memory clock rate x bus clock multiplir (4) x dual rate (2) x number of bits transferred (64) / bits pe byte (8)

So I use ddr2 and my bus speed is 200 Mhz. I want memory with a clock rate of 200 Mhz so
200 X 2 X 2 X 64 / 8 = 6400 Mb/s or pc2-6400.

Hope this helps.

Nice Formula :thumbsup:

>Michael 

#10 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:07 AM

thanks man.

There is another naming convention that doesn't use pc, pc2, pc3, instead ddr, ddr2, ddr3.

It goes like this:

ddr
memory clock rate x bus clock multiplir (1) x dual rate (2)

ddr2
memory clock rate x bus clock multiplir (2) x dual rate (2)

ddr3
memory clock rate x bus clock multiplir (4) x dual rate (2)

So again, if I have a 200 Mhz front side bus and ddr2:

200 x 2 x 2 = 800 Mhz or DDR2-800. DDR2-800 and PC2-6400 are the same thing, just different names.

Also, consider CAS Latency. The lower the number the faster the memory.

And to find out the kind of ram to sell it, just google whatever it is labeled with.

#11 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:04 AM

RadioNorthsea, please don't feel that we are criticizing you or arguing with you, we just want to understand your information accurately, so we can give correct answers to help you. It may just be a simple matter of terminology - if the memory is DDR2 it should be labelled PC2-3200. The most important thing if the memory you have is DDR2 (PC2-3200), as you have said, is to avoid accidentally selling it to someone who wants DDR (PC3200) memory.

No problem Platypus, I understand what the point is and I can tell that there are not bad feelings in me.
Yesterday hitting I pc3200 AS400 in Google and I saw too, that they say, DDR .
What I can say, I can't believe that you have also only a DDR system.
When you looking for a Motherboard, than do you see, DDR2 or DDR3 memory and not only DDR.
In the post before my post of March 15, letting I know that after I bought the Ram card, I took a look on the Ram card what was pre-installed; because I was forgotten what for type I had in my system and I saw DDR2 .
Okay I typed the model and version number in a search machine and I got the mention: AS400 DDR Ram card is synchronized with DDR2 .
The mention what I did made of I am not Blind, I wrote this, because I would let see, that what I did seen, I am not wrong with this .
Okay let we saying that I am abuse and that pc3200 is only DDR, than does this mean, that you can entering a DDR2 or a DDR3 Ram card in the memory slice.
And don't take me angry that I am saying this, I can't believe that this sort Motherboards exist.
If this sort Motherboards exist, why don't see this than on the sites from Computer shops.
So now you understand my incomprehension about the DDR.
About this say I, it is not possible that it is only DDR.
You have only DDR2 or DDR3 memories.
When I am wrong, why got I than the mention then I hitting that in Google, AS400 is synchronized with DDR2 .?

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:18 AM

I'm glad it hasn't seemed as if we want to argue with you, RadioNorthsea.

I will admit I'm not always sure I correctly understand the things you have posted, but I try to help.

When you have said "A Computer has always a DDR2 or DDR3 ram memory" and "I can't believe that you have also only a DDR system" does this mean you are not expecting to find any computer at all using DDR RAM? If this is so, then in fact many computers have used DDR memory, and a few have been able to have both DDR and DDR2 fitted, but of course in different slots. There is an example of this here, which board has two slots for DDR and two for DDR2. Commonly the two types could not be run together (this board cannot) but I believe I remember a small number of advanced boards could use the two at the same time.

Another puzzle is that I do not find helpful information searching for AS400 SyncMaster Dimm SDram, and I wonder whether it is because I am searching from Australia and you get different results in Europe, or if perhaps AS400 has a different meaning in your native language, perhaps relating to 400MHz? If this is so, then both DDR PC3200 and DDR2 PC2-3200 run at 400MHz, which could explain why you've found that "AS400 is synchronized with DDR2"? But I'm making a guess.

As it seems you still have the RAM you will be selling installed in your existing computer, the best answer will likely be to get an electronic report using the speccy link posted by killerx525 and see how the memory identifies itself from within.

#13 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 07:08 AM

I've used a Gigabyte version which supports DDR2 and DDR3(it's awesome!). Will be waiting for the speccy :)

>Michael 

#14 Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

Guest_RadioNorthsea_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

Platypus did wrote on the first rule:

I'm glad it hasn't seemed as if we want to argue with you, RadioNorthsea.

I will admit I'm not always sure I correctly understand the things you have posted

The reason for this is: Because I find it difficult how must I say some things.
I did asking a question about Technical just as the DDR Ram and than get I the point how must I tell on Technical area what I do mean.
I understand that you don't understand anything what I write.
In my own language is this difficult for tell and explain, let stay in another language.
But I must tell, I have follow your link here and saw what you and others, mean.
Now I understand the principal DDR and DDR2 or DDR3.
Okay the pc3200 AS400 DDR SDram is a DDR Ram card.
Thank you for your reply and the link Platypus.
But still is the question, on which way must I try to sell the AS400 DDR SDram card.
In an earlier post letting I know that I had looking for the information about the installed Ram card and I got thus the description that the AS400 DDR SDRam card is synchronized with DDR2.

When a Buyer ask me: In your advertisement said you, it is a DDR SDRam card, is it a DDR2 or DDR3, must I than say to the Buyer, it is synchronized with DDR2 or must I only say, no Sir or M'dam, it is DDR.?.

You find it difficult for understanding what I do mean, I find it difficult too, when I see that sort descriptions.
It is what I told, in Dutch is it difficult, let stay in another language.
But also was this a difficult subject for me, we understand together now.

Killerx525 did wrote:

I've used a Gigabyte version which supports DDR2 and DDR3(it's awesome!). Will be waiting for the speccy

On Technical area get we more new and advanced devices.

I am glad that I do now know the terms DDR and DDR2 and DDR3 .
You know guys\ladies, as not Technician human, you don't stay still by this sort things.
You see when you open the case or visit a site of the Computer shop and take a look to Motherboards, the slides were you put in the DDR Ram card.
But as not Technician human; you don't know the differences.
If I think at the slides on the Motherboard from my old Computer and at the link here and what I did seen again, think I, that you can use a DDR2 or DDR3, but not mixed.

Edited by RadioNorthsea, 18 March 2011 - 03:09 PM.

#15 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

It would be reasonable if you posted the speccy report.

>Michael 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users