Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partition C showing less space than used

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:08 AM

I don't know why this is happening. But all the files in my C partition(including WINDOWS files) take up only about 16.0 GB of space.
Posted Image

But for some reason, it shows that 20GB Space is being used. So where did my 4GB Go?
Posted Image

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:10 AM

Almost certainly being used by System Restore (hidden restore files in your System Volume Information folder). Can also be hibernation if enabled (hiberfil.sys in the root of c: drive). You can also check the Temp folder.

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:39 AM

Expanding on Allen's suggestions, if you recently installed SP1 I believe that the Service Pack backup files could be part of this equation, though I may be mistaken.

ETA: Should be Allan's

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 March 2011 - 07:41 AM.

#4 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:43 AM

I had already deleted all but the most recent system restore point. And also that first screenshot is showing the size of all files, including the hidden files because I had enabled 'show hidden files' in folder options. I can't see anything like hiberfil.sys in the C drive.

Thanks for the help so far. Would love it if this was solved.
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:46 AM

Yes - SP1 backup files should be a little over 500 mb

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

FWIW, 920 mb for Home Premium x64.

#7 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:18 AM

SP1 too is installed in C? Right? And that first screenshot in my first post shows 16 GB of all the files and folders in my C drive. But still when I right click on C and go to properties, it shows 20GB. So where did the rest of the 4GB go?
SYSTEM SPECS.

#8 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:00 AM

I am not referring to the Service Pack itself but the Service pack backupfiles. From the tutorial link I provided in my first post:

How Use the Windows 7 SP1 Disk Cleanup Tool

This will show you how to run the Windows 7 SP1 cleanup tool to permanently remove the backed up files created during the installation of the Windows 7 SP1 to gain back more hard drive space, and remove the Service Pack for Microsoft Windows (KB76932) entry in Installed Updates.

You must be logged in as an administrator to be able to do this tutorial.

Note
The Windows 7 SP1 disk cleanup tool gave me back around 1.5 GB on my hard drive. This amount may vary on your computer.

To see how much space you recovered, make a note of how much free space you have on the C:/ drive in Computer before and after you run the Windows 7 SP1 cleanup tool. Afterwards, please post and let us know how much space you have recovered.

Warning
It is recommended to wait about a week after installing SP1 to see how your Windows 7 is running with SP1 installed before deleting the SP1 backups as in the tutorial below. This way if you discover a issue, you will still have the option to uninstall SP1 if need be.

Once you delete the SP1 backup files, you will no longer be able to uninstall the Windows 7 SP1 afterwards. The only option would be a clean install

Please note I am NOT suggesting you delete these files but merely suggesting that these files are likely a part of the "invisible" missing HDD space for lack of a better term. I ran the tool and gained back about 1gb of HDD space ONLY after creating a complete backup image that I will use to reinstall the OS should the need arise.

=Performance%20Maintenance"]Have you run Disk Cleanup? Emptied temp files? Defragged the drive? (unless it's an SSD drive which I believe is the case, am I right?)

#9 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

And also that first screenshot is showing the size of all files, including the hidden files because I had enabled 'show hidden files' in folder options...

Yes, but by your same screenshot I see NO Protected Operating System Files which is the answer to your question. In order to do this you need to "uncheck" Hide protected operating system files, then click "Yes" & then "OK". This is why you're not seeing system restore, hiberfil.sys, etc in explorer and the "missing" HDD space.

Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 16 March 2011 - 10:20 AM.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:33 AM

Download and run treesize to see where the space is being used (http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml)

#11 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:52 PM

Thanks guys. I got to know that the space was being used by hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys. hiberfil.sys wasn't showing up when I searched for it in Windows though. Thanks. :)
SYSTEM SPECS.

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,554 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:05 AM

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

#13 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:50 AM

...the space was being used by hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys...

Which is what Allan said in his first reply :)
I overlooked pagefile.sys in my replies :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users