Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Folder in my Temp Folder

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Marrim

Marrim

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:41 AM

Hi all,

I have a folder in my Temp folder named {6858401D-7D6C-482c-B108-64AAE0B0A7E8} and have no idea what it is. I have my computer set to show hidden files/folders but when I check the folder there is nothing in there. I can delete the folder with no problem, but when I restart the computer it put itself back in the Temp Folder. I run Windows XP Service Pack 3. For anti-malware and virus protection I have Malwarebytes Anti-malware and Superantispyware Professional with NOD 32 and I update them daily. Today I ran a scanner with the anti-malware programs/virus protection but nothing came back. Could the folder in my Temp folder be a rootkit or is it nothing to worry about?

Thanks in regards,

Marrim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Randomly named alpha/numeric folders are commonly created and used temporarily when updating Windows components. They are also used by some software programs (i.e. Microsoft Office, Microsoft Visual Studio, etc) during update or installation to hold setup files (.inf, .cat, .gpd, .ppd and .dlls) and other information. These files and folders are usually automatically removed as part of the update process. However, its not uncommon for them not to be cleaned up and left behind after the update has been applied. When that occurs they usually can be manually deleted at any time.

For example, when you run the MS Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT), a temporary folder with random alpha/numeric characters (i.e. C\79f142e5e9e574d23954) will be created on your C:\ drive that contains mrt.exe, mrtstub.exe and a file named $shtdwn$.req. Since external drives can be a hiding place for malicious files, MSRT will scan them too and you may find a left over folder in that location. Most of the time after performing a scan and you click finish or cancel, the folder will automatically be removed right away or after the next restart of the computer. If not, the folder and its contents can be manually deleted without an adverse effect on the computer.

Installation of service packs, security updates from Microsoft for MSMXL packages and hotfixes also create temporary randomly alpha/numeric named folders. Sometimes these folders create sub-folders as described here or contain sub-folders like amd64, i386. The creation date should match the installation date of the updates or show in the ReportingEvents.log located in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder. Again, finding these leftover temporary files are not uncommon after applying an update. Please see Windows Updates Leftover Files and Folders for examples of such files.

Other legitimate programs can also create randomly named folders in various areas of your hard drive. In many cases if you delete these folders, the program will recreate them after rebooting the computer.

Edited by quietman7, 16 March 2011 - 09:19 AM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Marrim

Marrim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:16 AM

Thanks so much for you reply quietman 7. I know now that it's nothing to worry about.

Marrim

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:47 AM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016