Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crazy updates

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ehw

ehw

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:48 AM

Hello, I'm glad to be here although I'm only here because Windows is driving me mad. Why is it that every install of Windows behaves differently, even on the same computer using the same installation disk??

I've installed WinXP Pro and all updates including IE8. Now I'm repeatedly being offered the .Net updates KB2416473 and KB982524 although they're already installed. I followed instructions to use add/remove programs to get rid of .Net 2, 3 and 3.5. I then installed dotnetfx35.exe, downloaded from MS and I then installed the few updates that the Windows update site offered, BUT NOT the optional ones. Everything seemed OK for a day or two but now I'm being offered the updates again. As if that isn't enough I'm now being offered IE8 which is already installed. I marked all 3 updates to not ask again and immediately got offered IE7 !!!!!

Any sensible suggestions as to how to solve this mess will be gratefully appreciated.

Edited by ehw, 16 March 2011 - 04:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:40 AM

Why is it that every install of Windows behaves differently, even on the same computer using the same installation disk??

Hi ehw Welcome -
Can you tell us why you are (or so it seems) constantly reinstalling Windows -
You mention Every Install of Windows, as if you reinstall on a regular basis - Unless I am reading this wrongly -
I have only installed XP once since I purchased this unit 10 years ago, and I have .Net 2, 3 and 3.5. all installed with IE8 (and IE7 also) -
.Net3.5 has also had updates to it (and hotfixes) so I have the item listed 4 or 5 times in Add / Remove all up -
Can you please expand on your first sentence as I have quoted above, so we can understand the problem better -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 16 March 2011 - 05:45 AM.

#3 ehw

ehw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:09 AM

Yes, no problem. I have 5 computers, they're mostly on 24 hours a day, I install and uninstall lots of programs, constantly. That in itself causes problems through the way Windows works, registry bloat etc. The computers are very well protected in general, I've being playing with computers since 1984, but occasionaly something get's into one of them. I see it as inevitable as I use usenet and uTorrent 24 hours a day. I'm fully aware of defraggers, registry cleaners, I use Malwarebytes anti-malware and Superantispyware, but nevertheless about every six months I come to the conclusion that it's time to reinstall Windows, either because of the slowness, or, less often, erratic behaviour. I play with programs because where I am it's impossible to buy a computer with the OS in English so people buy one and get me to install Windows in English, naturally they want programs and I virtually download everything that's on offer in Majorgeeks, try new stuff on my own computers and then install what I think will be best received by the owner of the computer.

#4 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

Hello! I'm out of my league here. I have uninstalled Net framework in Add/Remove and used donetfx to reinstall Net frameworks. It is my understanding that you need to reinstall 1,2,and 3.5. I have had no problem with up dates sense I reinstalled all three Net framework. I'm not good with puter language. I'm self taught and very old.
You might also try this it worked for a friend! Post #6 &7

#5 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

Hello !!
To say the least, this is all very confusing .The way I figure it is if you are having up date problems.What the hell. Install all three and see if that solves your problem. I did and I haven't had any more problems!!

http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_net_framework_and_do_i_need_all_these_versions.html

PS I believe there is also a option that allows you to repair the Net frameworks if you already have all versions installed. Just right click them in Add/Remove and chose repair.

Edited by garybear, 16 March 2011 - 05:52 PM.

#6 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:56 PM

Hello!!
You can get them all right here!

#7 ehw

ehw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Garybear for taking the time to reply. Seeing as I've already uninstalled dotnet and reinstalled it again I was hoping to avoid having to do that again, but it seems it can't be avoided. I'm going to try the repair function that you mentioned and if that doesn't work then download all the full install files using the links in Deploymaster and try that. Thanks again.

#8 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:20 PM

Thanks Garybear for taking the time to reply. Seeing as I've already uninstalled dotnet and reinstalled it again I was hoping to avoid having to do that again, but it seems it can't be avoided. I'm going to try the repair function that you mentioned and if that doesn't work then download all the full install files using the links in Deploymaster and try that. Thanks again.

Your very welcome my friend.
Might try the Windows Live OneCare Safety Scanner. It won't hurt any thing.If your unsure about the registry cleaner , you can uncheck that feature.It will make a restore point before cleaning. It also saves any registry items it deletes that you can put back .

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:17 PM

Please...do not run any...any registry cleaner/scanner.

System manufacturer and model?

I would further suggest...that you try to clearly define what problems you are experiencing. I am replying in regard to the stated "problem" concerning Windows Updates.

If you have a Media Center system manufactured by an OEM (e.g., HP, Lenovo, etc.)...then NET Framework 1.1 needs to be installed.

If you have no software installed requiring any version of MS.NET...then you don't need to install any version on your system. Windows will run fine without it.

Media Center and certain other programs...require a version of MS.NET in order to function effectively. If a given program requires it, my experience is that it makes this known in the prerequisites and/or during attempted installation of said programs.

Once any version of MS.NET is installed, there are critical updates for that version...which need to be installed.

Lastly...NET Framework 3.5, SP1 includes elements of previous versions...and these elements install when 3.5, SP1 is installed. They are an integral part of that version. If you want more detail on such, see the Microsoft documentation on 3.5, SP1.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 March 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#10 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:03 PM

I don't know Leo. This is what he says about Net Framework. Good luck my friend. I was having a problem similar to yours. I uninstalled all Net Framworks and reinstalled them. I have been able to get all up dates every sense.I'm not suggesting any registry cleaners.Windows safety scanner is much like ESET online scanner but with a couple more features. It's a Microsoft software and I trust it, but you should make your own decision about using it. It's really flustering to keep getting those little shields saying up dates are ready and then you can't install them. I've been there and done that. Good luck my friend.I won't comment further , but will watch this topic, so let me know what happens.
http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_net_framework_and_do_i_need_all_these_versions.html

#11 garybear

garybear

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image
I hope this works ehw.This is what my Net Framwork looks like in Add/Remove.It was a lot of work , but your worth it my friend.They should enlarge by clicking on them so you can see them better.

Edited by garybear, 18 March 2011 - 09:33 AM.

#12 ehw

ehw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:58 PM

SOLVED - I installed MS Office 2003 and then logged on to Microsoft Update and installed all available updates. It didn't offer any updates for dotnet. Now if I log on to Windows update that too has stopped offering the dotnet updates. Things are now as they should be, but as usual with anything to do with MS, there is no explanation. Thanks to all who responded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users