Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE Keeps Closing

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luvkitty

Luvkitty

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:33 AM

Hello,

I'm using Vista, and I have Internet Explorer 8 installed, as well as Mozilla Firefox. I prefer to use Firefox when browsing the internet as it doesn't usually cause problems, but unfortunately, I've never been able to get the Bookmarks to work the way that Favorites does in IE. Therefore, I tend to bounce back and forth between the two browsers if there are sites that I decide to save to Favorites.

Anyway, I first started having problems with IE when the screen would keep bouncing between Images and Web. I would have to use the "back" arrow, and then a lot of times I would get a message that said, "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." Under "Things you can try," is one option that says, "Diagnose Connection Problems." That would disappear as soon as I would hit the "back" arrow and end up having to reselect the website I wanted and/or get back to the page I was trying to view in the first place. At this point, I basically gave up using IE for browsing and only use it now when trying to save a site to my "Favorites."

Tonight brings more problems with Internet Explorer. When I try to open IE, as it's completing loading the homepage, the following messages appear:

1. Posted Image

Then IE tries to find a solution, but it never does.

2. Posted Image
3. Posted Image

This cycle just repeats itself over and over again, and it doesn't seem to matter if I turn off the computer and sign back in. The same thing happens.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Michele

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:53 AM

Can you start IE in Safe MOde?

Can you go to Internet Options in Control Panel then go to the Advanced Tab then hit Reset on the very bottom.

#3 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:28 AM

I've never been able to get the Bookmarks to work the way that Favorites does in IE.

What exactly do you mean by this? If you want to open the nifty little sidebar for your Favorites like IE in Firefox, press Ctrl+B on your keyboard and a similar menu will appear.

If you want to import your Favorites into Firefox, press 'File' then 'Import'. Select 'Microsoft Internet Explorer', press 'Next', make sure 'Favorites' is ticked and click 'Next' again.

If you want to add a link to the area just under the address bar in Firefox, simply drag a Bookmark or website icon (beside the web address) into a blank spot.

#4 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 04:18 AM

You might try to download IE 9, it's faster and less buggy.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#5 alexsm

alexsm

• Banned Spammer
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 06:08 AM

This is a common problem for many people!!..

#6 Luvkitty

Luvkitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 12:26 AM

Can you start IE in Safe MOde?

Can you go to Internet Options in Control Panel then go to the Advanced Tab then hit Reset on the very bottom.

I restarted my computer in Safe Mode and then clicked on Internet Explorer under 'Start'. It would not open, but Firefox wouldn't open either, and that was working okay before I went to Safe Mode. Is this the right way to check those two browsers when in Safe Mode?

After doing the above, I again restarted my computer, which I think means it is out of Safe Mode??? I was then able to open Firefox in order to get back to Bleeping Computer to type this. I read about hitting the reset tab, and it said not to do it unless I was out of other options, basically. Is that where I am at this point? Another poster said to use IE 10 instead of the one I'm using. Would that help the current problem, or do I do that after fixing the current problem?

Thanks!
Michele

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 07:01 AM

<<Another poster said to use IE 10 instead of the one I'm using. Would that help the current problem, or do I do that after fixing the current problem?>>

There is no IE 10 available for download at Microsoft...so I don't know how credible this suggestion would be as a cure.

Although there are "references" to an IE 10 when you use Google...there is nothing released by Microsoft as "IE 10".

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie

Me...i would just reinstall whatever version of IE I was using.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users