Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building a software

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 comet@earth

comet@earth

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:54 PM

Could you guys please tell me how to build a software?I have leant JAVA and want to do it using JAVA.
Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 05:30 AM

If you know how to use Java, then you know how to write software. What part do you not understand?

#3 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:55 AM

I have used NETBEANS IDE to create an application that manages all the transactions of an institute.What next?How do I project it as a software with a specific icon and maybe a setup file.I mean to say there may be other things which I am not aware of so I thought of asking.I want to build a full fledged software,like the ones we download from the net.
Thank You

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

So are you asking how to create an installer and a link to the software?

#5 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:17 AM

Yes.It should be just like the softwares we download from the net.Setup files,icon and obviously the software.
Thak You

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:06 AM

I think you might be making it harder than it is, because an installer is essentially only doing 2 things.
1) create the shortcut on the desktop
2) copy the program to the correct location

That's about it.

#7 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:10 AM

I just want to know the steps to build a s/w like the ones available for download.Please sir tell me the steps.
Thank You

Edited by comet@earth, 16 March 2011 - 10:10 AM.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:58 AM

Step 1) Write code to create a shortcut on the desktop. That would include copying an image from your install package to the desktop, and then setting the link to where the software will reside.

Step 2) Write some code that copies the application from your install package to wherever it is supposed to go.

I don't know how much clearer to make it.

#9 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 02:31 PM

If you want to do it using Java as an exercise in Java, ignore the rest of this.

Otherwise if you just want to use Java because that's what you're familiar with, there's an open source program called NSIS(Nullsoft Scriptable Install System) which is set up specifically to create installers. It can compress the program files for transit, unpack them where you need them, generate shortcuts, generate an uninstaller, write uninstall information to the registry, and so on. It would entail working out the scripting style which has absolutely nothing to do with Java, but it comes packaged with plenty of examples which are really quite easy to modify for your specific program (i.e. put your own file names in place of the sample names). If you want to make your own installer it is not really what you're after, but it might help if you just want to distribute the software.

Actually creating the picture for an icon is a completely different issue unrelated to programming. You'd need a graphics editor to do that.
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#10 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:51 PM

Sir you make it as clear as explaining to a person acquainted to programming but doesn't know how to apply it.First write the the code for the s/w in JAVA.Next what should I do?Please explain again in simple words.Also I would like to know how to create an icon using the graphics editor?
Thank You

Edited by comet@earth, 16 March 2011 - 08:57 PM.

#11 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

Can you write a program that moves a file from one directory to another?

#12 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

Also I would like to know how to create an icon using the graphics editor?

What graphics experience do you have? I make icons in the GIMP, a very powerful freeware image editor. GIMP however is notoriously hard to learn, so it would be easier to pick a editor you're more familiar with. If you don't have a preference there are plenty of icon editors available for the price of only a little googling. If you still can't work them out, it would be better to start a thread in the graphics manipulation forum rather than the programming one. One thread to one problem after all, and icon creation isn't a programming problem.

I'll leave it to groovicus to explain how to make an installer.
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

#13 comet@earth

comet@earth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 12:48 AM

A file copy program,Yes.That's quite simple i assume.I have never tried a file move program.Let me try it out.Also I am learning graphics using the C language.Except that I don't have any experience with graphics.
Thank You

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users