Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't boot Windows XP (Standard or Safe Mode), Black Screen w/cursor then Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 teamodave

teamodave

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

I'm having a problem with my Dell Dimension 8300, running Windows XP. I have an 80g Maxtor HD as my main drive and a 500g WD secondary drive. When I attempt to boot, I get a blue screen with the message:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is he first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendorm for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF74BB2B2, 0xF789E4AO, 0xF789E1AO)

*** FLTMGR.SYS - Address F74BB2B2 base at F74A3000, DateStamp 480251da
As far as the info in the message, I see this screen with the same info everytime I rebooted.

As far as disk space, my main drive is 80g aand I have about 20g of free space.

I'm not sure if anything in the message refers to drivers. Not sure how to change video adapters when I can't get into Windows (Standard Mode or Safe Mode).

Also not sure how to deal with any of the BIOS suggestions (or even know if it's a good idea to mess with it).

Again, I cannot even boot to Safe Mode. It takes me to the same Blue Screen message.

I have been able to boot from the CD. I get to the Windows Setup screen, it loads files. It then says it's Starting Windows, then takes me to the Windows XP Home Edition Setup. It gives me the choices:

To set up Window XP now, press Enter.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

I pressed R and in the Recovery Console, it shows:

1: C:\WINDOWS

I press 1, as this is the only Windows installation I have.

It then takes me to the Command Prompt:

C:\WINDOWS>

I have run CHKDSK and got this message:

The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked. Use /p if you want to check the volume anyway.

78075896 kb total disk space.
18669132 kb are available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
19518974 total allocation units on disk.
4667283 allocation units available on disk.

I have also run CHKDSK /r and it found and fixed one or more errors.

After I exited and tried to reboot from the HD and got the same BSOD with same message.

I don't know if this is a virus or hardware/software problem. I do have Malwarebytes Anti-Virus and Norton 360 on the PC, but without Windows XP, I'm not sure how to run them.

I have also booted from Hirems Boot CD and have run all the hardware tests (checked HDs, memory, video, etc..) I could and have found no problems.

Any light you could shed on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Edited by boopme, 15 March 2011 - 08:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 69,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

mod bump
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:00 AM

Do you have access to another system, one where you could attach the hard drive as a secondary drive?

It appears to me that your system has a reccovery/restore partition, so I don't know if this will work.

Go through the same procedures, but this time elect to install XP.

At this point...you should be presented with either two or three options, exact wording may vary:

a. Repair existing install.

b. Install over existing O/S.

c. Abort/cancel.

If you are NOT presented with the option of repair install, with new system files...then abort/cancel.

7E STOP errors are pretty generic in nature. The fact that it points to fltmgr.sys...probably only denotes the scene of the crime, the point at which Windows realized that there is a problem.

Take a read, http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19307797.aspx

Louis

The black screen with cursor in XP...typically can be a problem with the MBR. If it occurred on my system...I would run the fixmbr command from the Reccovery Console.

But...you have a Dell and running that command on Dells has some consequences that some users don't want.

Dells and Fixmbr Command - http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/p/19304465/19589396.aspx

OTOH, some Dell users reporting this problem...went ahead and ran the fixmbr command and were not mindful of the impact on the restore/recovery Dell function.

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2011 - 08:07 AM.

#4 teamodave

teamodave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 12:25 AM

I fixed the problem by backing up the hard drive to an external drive, then formatting and doing a fresh install of Win XP. There may be an easier solution than what I did, but I was tired of dealing with this and had to get this thing back up and running. Thanks for your help nonetheless, it was very much appreciated.

Dave

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 07:18 AM

Thank you for the courtesy...glad you resolved it (probably what I would have done), happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users