Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sleep/Wake Problem MacBook Pro

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MaryBet82

MaryBet82

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:35 PM

MacBook Pro 6,1 [purchased August 2010] running 10.6.6

I had to do a hard shutdown today because the lcd screen stayed dark when I opened the lid w/ the computer in sleep. Clicking the trackpad wouldn't light the screen. Pressing the power button showed that the computer was still on [since it didn't turn on]. After I shut down via the power button it rebooted w/out any problem.

Googling I got lots of hits for "macbook pro sleep problems". One forum topic ran 10 pages from 2007 to 2010. "Fixes" included changing the sleep mode via terminal, enabling/disabling the ethernet adapter, and resetting the System Management Controller.

Since I rebooted I have been able to close the lid and have the computer and lcd wake on opening. I thought I'd run the hardware test later [thinking maybe there's a problem w/ the lcd screen], but not do anything else unless the problem happens again. [I repaired disk permissions via disk utility since I had to do a hard shutdown]

Do normal macs just occasionally "glitch"? I've had to use the power button to shut down several times since I purchased the macbook. It's happened most often when I had an ext hdd attached and was reading files from it. Today the only thing attached was my usb mouse.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro
WinXP sp2 on Dell 380 w/ 512 MB RAM- currently dead in the water
WinXP tab ed sp 3 on Thinkpad X41 w/ 1.5 GB RAM - lemony flavored
Win2K Sp4 on Sony VAIO GXR600 w/ 512 MB RAM - currently blue screening

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

I seem to recall this happening to me once or twice. The first thing I'd think to do is make sure you haven't reduced the screen brightness with the function keys. The only reason I recall it happening to me was that I think I plugged into a bad outlet on my college campus cafeteria. As such I learned to avoid that outlet. I frequently run my external drive and don't believe it has caused me this problem.
(Instructor) You put a Linux machine within a Windows machine within a Mac? That's great! Now where is that paper on BitTorrents vulnerabilities that was due last week?

#3 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

Thanks falcore91,

No, I hadn't used the function keys to adjust the screen brightness. I've put the lid down several times since then without any problem. I hate to shut my mac down via the power button, but I guess the occasional glitch/freeze is normal.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#4 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:25 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

Our PBG4 used to do the same thing occasionally. I was told in another forum to use the Apple menu > Sleep, Power button > Sleep, or use the keyboard shortcut keys Command + Option + Eject rather than just closing the lid to put the Mac to sleep, and so far it has worked pretty good.

#5 falcore91

falcore91

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 18 March 2011 - 03:18 PM

Commandment number 1: Know thy keyboard shortcuts.
(Instructor) You put a Linux machine within a Windows machine within a Mac? That's great! Now where is that paper on BitTorrents vulnerabilities that was due last week?

#6 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 11:55 AM

Thanks buddyme2

I hadn't read anything about the apple menu > sleep or other keyboard commands being preferable to lid closing. I'll try getting into the habit of hitting option + command + eject before closing the lid.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#7 fluffybunny88

fluffybunny88

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 24 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

try resetting the SMC it fixes most sleep issues and this is a common problem, should not have to do the keyboard shortcuts all the time shutting the lid should be fine for it to go to sleep.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

Note, these instructions are only for macbook pros and macbooks with non removable batteries, which if you purchased it in 2010 it is one that has a non removable battery.

#8 MaryBet82

MaryBet82
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

Thanks fluffybunny88,

I haven't had any more problems w/ the computer failing to wake from sleep, but I have been using the shortcut keys before closing the lid. I'll try just closing the lid and see if the problem recurs. I copied the instructions you provided for resetting the SMC in case. I did read that my battery is not removable, so the instructions should apply to my macbook pro.
mac 10.6 on macbook pro

#9 -jeana-

-jeana-

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:28 AM

Sorry for thread resurrection, but I've had this issue as well, and wondered if the use of keyboard shortcuts to sleep the machine was a success.

Also, for others that may be having this problem, I've noticed that it tends to be caused in two ways, at least for me.

1. If my MBP is asleep with a USB device plugged in, if I disconnect the device, I hear the HDD spin up and the sleep pattern of the front light changes to the awake mode. THen, if I open the lid it sleeps, and closing it wakes it up. Same thing if I plug in a device while asleep. Something about detecting the device being added or removed seems to toggle sleep mode, from which point on it is backwards.

2. I have used the second cause (though it's tricky to get right) to fix the issue. I have a pre-unibody MBP, with a button and latch to open the screen. If I accidentally bump the lid back down immediately after opening it, I get the reverse sleep mode toggle problem. If it keep "stutter-opening" it, I can usually fix it without having to do a hard reboot. I'm not sure this is good for the machine, but then again neither is a hard reset.... so I do kind of wonder which is the lesser of the two evils...

Hope this is helpful to someone out there!

Best,
Jeana

PS - didn't see anything about thread resurrection in the rules, please let me know if this is frowned-upon. I didn't want to make a duplicate topic...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users