Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jrgull13

jrgull13

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 06:31 PM

I've had this problem of my computer just restarting for no apparent reason. I had this problem a while back but it was because my cpu was overheating, but it's not overheating right now, and I cleaned out the heatsink anyway but it still does it. Can you help me???

thanks,
jrgull

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 08:06 PM

First I would like to welcome you to BC and wish you a Merry Christmas.
It could be a power supply going bad. Run Everest Home and tell us what the power supply reading are.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Trent_L

Trent_L

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:56 AM

It also might be worth your while to test your RAM. Download this http://oca.microsoft.com/en/mtinst.exe
You could also ckeck for chip creep, reseat any expansion cards, your ram and cpu. Check your motherboard's capicitors, see if any are fat (popping).

#4 jrgull13

jrgull13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the input, but it's gotten worse so now every time it gets to the XP loading screen it restarts. Mom told me that it sounds like some of the windows startup files are corrupted (probably by a virus) so I should format my HD and reinstall windows. Not to mention my HD could use a format since i didn't have any virus protection in the first place. So now my next question, how do I format my HD on startup???

jrgull

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:03 PM

If you can enter Safe Mode run sfc /scannow from the command line. Once you are at the Boot Menu select Safe Mode with Command line. When the C:\ appears type sfc /scannow. Be sure you have the space between sfc and scannow.
If you are not familar with Safe Mode, you enter it by tapping the F8 key while booting your computer.

Edited by acklan, 26 December 2005 - 09:04 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 razakvv

razakvv

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:57 PM

hi there...
read your problem about the computer restart and in my experience that i findout. check ur hardwares which u installed in the system recently... that can sound card, modem, lan card, even memory ram...ete.

#7 jrgull13

jrgull13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:16 PM

It was working fine for 2 days, then when I downloaded the System Pack 2 it started doing the restart on the windows load screen... this is getting frustrating. I can run windows in the 3 safe modes but I can't run it on a normal restart.

Jrgull

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2005 - 10:19 PM

Have you gotten a chance to run Everest Home as Acklan suggested? It'll help in diagnosing the problem.

Once you get into Windows (even in Safe Mode) go to Start -> Run -> and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

In the next windows, go to the left hand pane and left click once on the category labelled "System". Then check for errors in the right hand pane. There should be at least one (maybe more) errors around the time that the system reboots (Windows automatically logs crashes to the Event log unless you've disabled this option).

Once you find the error, right click on it and select "Properties". Then read the text of the error message there. What you're looking for is a series of numbers like this: 0x0000007b Please write them down and include them in your reply.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users