Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Message says 'some of file might be lost during download.'

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 skymaster191

skymaster191

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:36 PM

I was recently downloading a video card driver file from a website. I got a message on the desktop saying something like 'part of the file may be lost during download, but it won't affect the file.' After the dowload was complete I noticed that the file was .2 Mg smaller than the size posted on the website.

What part of the file is getting deleted? This is a driver for a video card. So I don't want to screw up my video card with an incomplete driver file.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

Hello to assist someone in helping you better. please provide your Operating system, Video card and that link you downloaded from,thank you.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:22 PM

Without knowing exactly where the message came from, and just which "a website" it was, what may be missing is hard to say.

Just an FYI. The only place drivers should be d\l`d from is either the PC manufacturers website or the actual manufacturer of the add-on card(s) site.

There are rare exceptions to this rule though. Such as the manufacturer went out of business. In a case such as that there are usually safe alternatives.

#4 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

Sorry. Here is the info you need:

Windows 7 64-bit
ATI Radeon HD 5670, 1GB DDR5
http://www.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDHomePage.aspx,
I have a home-built PC

Edited by skymaster191, 15 March 2011 - 03:31 PM.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

That is the correct site.

Are you d\l`ing the entire catalyst package or just the drivers?

The only reason I ask is I will try the same to see if it happens.

#6 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:16 PM

I just downloaded the display driver, not catalyst package. I tried to download at home. But it is very slow with dial-up. I downloaded it today on my work computer. The finished download was only a fraction of 1 MB less than size listed on website. I wonder if my work PC has some extra security measure that causes this?

I'm not certain if it is safe to install this driver download

Edited by skymaster191, 15 March 2011 - 09:19 PM.

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

It sounds like the website rounded the number\size of the download up to the highest number.

If you want to wait I will d\l it and see what happens.

Is this the driver? Display Driver 58.1 MB 11.2 2/15/2011

If the above file is the one you d\l`d then after d\l`ing it myself it`s Properties report it as 57.8 MB Size as well as size on disk.

Edited by ThunderZ, 15 March 2011 - 09:40 PM.

#8 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:21 PM

Hey ThunderZ. You're pretty good at locating this stuff. You are correct. It is the 58.1 MB 11.2 display driver. I also observed 57.8 MB size when I clicked on properties. You observations and mine are exactly the same.

So I assume you would feel comfortable installing this download?

This last question is sort of an afterthought. When I click properties for 'Devices with removable storage'(under Windows 7 computer) , it shows a little over 80 MB used. But if I click properties for the actual file, it shows the 57.8 MB. Aren't both figures referring to the file size? What is the difference?

#9 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:35 PM

Regarding the driver. I would feel quit safe installing it.

As for your other question. Sorry to say I have very little time behind the keyboard of a Win7 machine.
Not really sure just what you are referring to.

I`m sure a Win7 User will pop in though hopefully with an answer. If not I`ll bring this to the attention of other Staff members who have more Win7 keyboard time.

#10 skymaster191

skymaster191
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:37 PM

Cool. Thanks, Man

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users