Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help uninstalling IE from XP

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 ncs22

ncs22

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:36 PM

Hi. I have Windows XP Home Edition. I would like to completely uninstall Internet Explorer from this computer (my aim is to prevent any internet access on this machine). Right now I have IE 8, as well as Service Pack 3. I read online that I need to uninstall SP3 prior to uninstalling IE 8 (apparently since I installed IE 8 prior to SP3). I also read that once I uninstall IE 8, it will revert to IE 7. But I want to be COMPLETELY rid of Internet Explorer on my machine. Can somebody please tell me how to do this? Right now my thinking is that I would need to do the following sequence:

1. Uninstall SP3
2. Uninstall IE 8
3. Uninstall IE 7
4. If I end up with IE 6 after uninstalling IE 7, then my next step would be to delete IE 6. However, I read online that deleting IE 6 can be tough.

I would appreciate anyone's insight and help, thanks...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:55 PM

The way to prevent Internet access...is simply to disable the NIC in the BIOS...or remove it if it is a physical card.

Removing IE...would not solve anything, even if it were possible.

Any user can install an alternate browser on Windows, as long as the hardware is there. Installing a browser with no hardware capability to connect...is pointless. Do a Google search sometimes, using "browser".

Louis

#3 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:45 PM

Actually, my situation is such that I would be willing to take even"risky" measures in order to irreversibly terminate Internet access on this particular computer....are there any ways to do that? Preferably something that doesn't involve opening up the machine...

Thanks..

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,512 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

...is simply to disable the NIC in the BIOS...

If it's connected via a LAN cable disconnect/remove the LAN cable. If it's wireless block the mac address at the router. Then be sure that no one unauthrized has router access. Removing IE if it were possible, does not stop someone from inserting a thumbdrive with a portable apps suite that includes a browser.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:21 PM

I guess I can put my needs in better terms...I would like for it to be impossible to browse the Internet on this computer. And I would like that situation to be permanent and irreversible...is that possible? I should have specified the browsing part earlier...Thanks. (btw, The computer in question is a laptop with wireless and a cable modem...but I need the wireless router and cable modem for my other computers).

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:37 PM

Disable the wireless and NIC in the system BIOS
Then put a password on the BIOS so that it cant be changed back.
Thats about as good as you can get.

Permanent and irreversible .... not really possible.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:15 PM

Thanks Eyesee...how specifically do I perform each of the actions you outlined?

#8 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 04:34 PM

I guess I can put my needs in better terms...I would like for it to be impossible to browse the Internet on this computer. And I would like that situation to be permanent and irreversible...is that possible? I should have specified the browsing part earlier...Thanks. (btw, The computer in question is a laptop with wireless and a cable modem...but I need the wireless router and cable modem for my other computers).

what is the make and model of the laptop , with a built in wireless device ,simply remove it ,usually just a little door /cover on the bottom of the laptop,as for the network connection plug if you know you will never want to use it on the internet just break it pull the wire connection out of it .crude but effective

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#9 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

Looks like yanking out the wireless chip might be the way to go...is that easily identifiable?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

FWIW: Removing the wireless chip...in a notebook...is easily overcome by any user who understands what a CardBus slot is for.

Louis

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:21 PM

Thanks Eyesee...how specifically do I perform each of the actions you outlined?

Make and model of the lap top?

#12 ncs22

ncs22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:26 PM

Hp pavilion dv4275nr

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:35 PM

Tapping the F1 key when first starting the machine should get you into the BIOS.

From there it will be up to you to navigate through them to the proper setting(s) to disable the LAN\ethernet\network and the wireless connection. Also then how to set a password.

I`m sorry I can`t help more but BIOS can vary from PC to PC.

#14 Poophead :P

Poophead :P

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:36 PM

Are you trying to safeproof it for your kids? Hamluis is right,the PCMCIA slot(CardBus)will accept a wireless card and bypass the wireless setup altogether. I like Eyesee's idea, and keep your eyes open for a wireless card in the hands of the wrong person (you might consider stuffing a piece of styrofoam in the slot and check every so often to see it's still in there. At least that way you're not destroying anything in case you need it later)...

#15 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

This could easily get into a somewhat grey area.
There would be no stopping someone from plugging in a USB wifi device with what I suggested as well.

A little clarification about why you want to do this really would be useful to us.

Edited by Eyesee, 15 March 2011 - 06:23 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users