Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clock interrupt not recieved at secondary processor (BSoD)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kegan

Kegan

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:15 PM

About a month ago I built my first new computer, It ran fine for about a week, and I got my first BSoD. It advised me to not take action if it was the first time. I checked for driver updates and continued on about my business. It was over a week before I got anther BSoD, and this is when I started halfheartedly looking for a way to contact the manufacturer, but Intel's site isn't terribly helpful in this regard. The support pages mostly try to give me FAQs, rather than give me someone who can actually talk to me about my specific problem, which isn't really documented there.

Here's the essentials of my build
MoBo: Intel DH67CL
Processor: Intel Core i5-2500 CPU @ 3.30GHz
CPU is also GPU, if I understand correctly: Intel HD Graphics
(I don't think my ram manufacturer, speed, my PSU, or wattage really matter, but... Kingston(4 gigs); 1333; corsair; 200w more than I need.)

I'm thinking it might be a driver issue, and it may be my Wacom tablet, which did cause some crashes back in the day, with my very old windows XP system, but nothing like this. I have checked windows updates for anything new, and only found service pack 1, which I was advised by a friend not to download yet, (he had to do a clean install after trying to run it. He wouldn't really give me the details.)

Yesterday I got BSoD-ed twice. And I decided I would look somewhere where I might actually get help.

I start from a very cold boot every morning, and I usually get the BSoD at night. I would show you the crash details if I knew how to get at them, I'm still getting used to windows 7 here, so I have no clue.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:19 AM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When scanning is done, Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/stop-0x00000101-a-clock-interrupt-was-not-received/fa4a75d5-9f76-42f3-879a-76c184320647

From what I read...it's not an Intel problem.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2011 - 10:27 AM.

#3 Kegan

Kegan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

Sorry for the delayed response.

So the problem is NTOSKRNL.exe?

Attached Files

Edited by Kegan, 16 March 2011 - 10:10 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:12 PM

I didn't say that...I know nothing about the problem.

The reference is posted so that you can begin to see...what others with this error think.

If you Google, using the message string as search phrase...you'll see all kinds of guesses, comments, etc. Some of them involved overclocking (which is a lick on the user), some mentioned RAM, etc.

I did not see anything that can generically be assumed to be the cause or the cure.

FWIW (strictly opiinion): As for ntoskrnl being the problem...IMO, that's usually the scene of the crime for many malware incidents or other system problems that did not show up on the orizon before in Windows. It's a basic Windows file and most errors that reference it...only means that the error became obnoxious enough to bug ntoskrnl.exe and possibly interfere with booting.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft-windows-7-forum/31329-igdkmd64-sys-win7-bsod.html

My guess...which could be tested...would be the Wacom is the problem.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 17 March 2011 - 12:18 PM.

#5 Kegan

Kegan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 12:41 AM

Hey, sorry to revive a dead topic, but I believe this is a continuation of my old problem. I am still having random crashes now, maybe once or twice a week, where everything just stops responding. I don't even get a list of shut down options when I press my power button. The problem with this in particular is that there is no blue screen, even if I wait for a while, and my computer does not recover. This doesn't seem to take place during particularly strenuous activities. Last time I had Firefox open, and browsing,and OpenOffice Writer open with my term paper on it, as well as MSN, Skype and Steam open but not really doing anything. Not a really big load for this computer. The problem here is worse though, in that I get no BSoD, and therefor no memory dump. The problem seems to be one with software, but it's still unresolved.

I'd edit this into the OP, but it seems like this forum locks posts of a certain age.... So I can't.

Edited by Kegan, 29 March 2011 - 01:09 AM.

#6 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:59 AM

Then lets start at a very basic level, and make sure the hardware checks out. I'd suggest doing two things.

1) Test the memory -- You can use Memtest86+ to do this, and burn it to a bootable CD/DVD. Just set your computer to boot from a CD/DVD when the disk is in the drive, and you're good to go. Let it run for 2-3 hours, just to be safe. If no errors come up, the memory should be good. Memtest86+ can be downloaded freely from here: http://www.memtest.org/

2) Check disk the hard drive. You can do this by right clicking the drive in my computer, and going to the "error checking" section under tools. Select "check now" and make sure all boxes are checked before clicking start. The next time you restart your computer, a check disk will take place.

Keep an eye on each of these tests and report any errors. For Memtest86+, any error is bad. For check disk, the biggest thing you should be looking for are "bad clusters" or "bad sectors", as these are very often an indication of a failing drive.

Once these tests are done, we can eliminate the memory and hard drive and start narrowing down hardware/software as the cause. When you have the results, post them to let us know.

Edited by hamluis, 01 April 2011 - 10:23 AM.
Removed unnecessary quote.

#7 Kegan

Kegan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:19 PM

I finally found the time, and did both over night.

No errors for either. I actually ran Memtest for 10 hours. I didn't actually see the hard-drive test finish, but there was no alert when the computer booted up.

I still don't have any other mouse, so I'm still exclusively using the wacom tablet.

Sorry for the delay.

Edited by Kegan, 31 March 2011 - 06:21 PM.

#8 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

I don't believe there is an alert given when the computer restarts after disk check. Try doing another check disk, and keep an eye for any "bad clusters" or "bad sectors" found. I don't think your issue is specifically hard drive based, but I would definitely eliminate the more common causes first -- like a hard drive. It's more a formality, but an important one.

I'm not too sure about clock interrupt errors, but if I had to guess (from the little I've gathered from reading) they sound like a problem between the motherboard and/or CPU. Why exactly it is happening, that is what we're trying to figure out. I'll keep looking into it for now.

For now lets see what comes up on the hard drive test, and go from there.

#9 Kegan

Kegan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:20 AM

It went much faster than it did the first time. I was actually able to sit and watch it complete the whole cycle.

No errors were found.

Of course, last time, I forgot to uncheck the box that says, automatically fix file system errors and scan for and recover bad sectors.

I haven't had any odd crashes since I posted about them. I had 3 in a row with no blue screen, spaced a few days apart at a time. I'd be overdue now.

It's like when you know you're sick, but you start feeling better when you're at the doctor's office. I hate that.

Edited by Kegan, 02 April 2011 - 10:21 AM.

#10 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• Members
  • 1,432 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

In your origninal posting of the crashes using bluescreen viewer one of the crashes was directly related to the video driver. Have you updated you driver to the latest version. I was released late last month and can be found here: Intel Board Window7 x64 drivers
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#11 Kegan

Kegan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 April 2011 - 03:36 PM

At the moment I am totally up to date again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users