Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD player for gateway Gp6-400

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 geh

geh

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:18 AM

All,
I was given a Gateway Gp6-400 recently, and it was in need of major clean up and rebuild. This computer looked new inside and so I really would like to get all the features running, if possible. Like a dummy I
neglected to try and see what DVD player was on it before I wiped the hhd and re-installed Win98se. All went well, Gateway had the video drivers for the 6000921 card, and that took care of the video, but no DVD program. There's a DVD inter-face card 6000658 that is in there and it's a STB systems card with a large IC with MPACT LG electronics on it. My real problem is what DVD program operating program works with this card??? I haven't been able to find a program that states that it relates to that card. I find numerous DVD players for Win98se, but I'm not sure what will work with that card. Oh, yes it does have a DVD/CD rom in it, not a burner just a player. I tried the STB site and don't remember finding what I needed. Thanks :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:48 AM

Try these drivers.
Then you will need a DVD player. PowerDVD works with 98.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:07 PM

Try these drivers.

EyEsee,
I'll have to try and view these at home I guess, the work computer never loads the page, just keeps cranking and never loads. Will let you know later. thanks!!! :thumbup2:

#4 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:57 PM

I use to use PowerDVD 6.0 but it says all versions of PowerDVD work on all versions of Windows but they don't, my version was registered. :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#5 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:49 AM

I use to use PowerDVD 6.0 but it says all versions of PowerDVD work on all versions of Windows but they don't, my version was registered. :wink:

Keithuk,
Thanks I'll have to wait til this weekend to get back to this one, got to do "REAL LIFE" stuff with the grand kids today and tomorrow. Again thanks to all who participate, I really appreciate the help, even though I do this alot sometimes I can't see the tree that I'm standing with my nose pressed up against. :wink: Greg

#6 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:01 AM

Try these drivers.

Eyesee,
Didn't get to try this last night and will be this weekend before I get to it, but just let you know that I got the page to open and looks VERY promising :clapping: !!!! I was at the Gateway site looking by part number of the card and model of the computer, I guess I just missed it, to big of a hurry I guess, or as my wife reminds me PAY ATTENION!!!! :blush: Thanks again!!
Greg

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:36 PM

Let us know if you get it to work.

Honestly I havent seen a DVD controller card in YEARS!

#8 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2011 - 01:39 PM

Let us know if you get it to work.

Honestly I havent seen a DVD controller card in YEARS!

Eyesee,
Good chace I've got my terms mixed up, any way the weekend got really busy and didn't get to it. I'll let you know, appreciate your help, thanks!!!! :thumbsup:
Greg

#9 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 11:52 AM

Eyesee & Keith,
Thanks to both of you for providing me the files for the Gateway G6-400 computer that I was having
problems finding a drivers for the video cards and for the DVD player. Used a share ware one,Media Player Classic. Looks similar to the old WMP 5, but it works ok, so far! Again thanks :thumbup2: :thumbsup:
Greg

#10 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,539 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:38 PM

You are the one that did all the work!
We just pointed you in the right direction.

Good job :thumbsup:

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

So haven't you found the graphics car drivers yet?

You could take the cover off and look for any names or numbers on the video card then do a search in http://members.driverguide.com/index.php You will have to join DriverGuide before you can download anything but thats no hassle and its a useful site to have in your favorites.

You could look in Device Manager to see if there are any names or numbers in Display Adapters. :wink:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#12 geh

geh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

So haven't you found the graphics car drivers yet?

You could take the cover off and look for any names or numbers on the video card then do a search in http://members.driverguide.com/index.php You will have to join DriverGuide before you can download anything but thats no hassle and its a useful site to have in your favorites.

You could look in Device Manager to see if there are any names or numbers in Display Adapters. :wink:

Keith,
Yes I did thank you for asking. I got those early on for both the video card and the daughter card that goes with it. I posted the numbers off the cards and either you or Eyesee gave me the links from Gateway that I over looked and that took are of them . I got a shareware DVD player "Media Player Classic" that actually seems to work pretty good. I don't have any heavy use for this box I just wanted it mostly working before I pass it on to someone who can use it. Again thanks for all your help!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users