Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 installed (with difficulty), now driver problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Barefoot2

Barefoot2

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:38 AM

I upgraded my RAM to install 7 on my older pc (topic in upgrading forum). I did encounter an error (0xc00000e9) in installation using the 32 bit disk (which was recommended by the MS service tech), I ended up trying to install using the 64 bit disk (processor is 64 bit), and it installed without any problems. When installing, he had recommended that it be done with full replacement, overwrite, or however you describe it 'dumping' everything on the hard drive to ensure that nothing remained of the virus that started the whole proceedure to begin with. I was expecting to have to reload all drivers, and to this end, I purchased a disk for use on hp machines that should recognize and load all applicable drivers. In doing this, the disk will not execute the set up and gives me this error message [error in syssetup.dll missing entry: UpdatePnpDeviceDrivers].
I am wondering if two possible suspicions could be affecting my attempt. First, is there an underlying problem evidenced by the error in initial attempt to install the OS, and now the attempt to run the driver software. Second, have I 'stripped' the system to far for this software to run without some basic drivers (or something other than the OS that is on it).
Anyone want to offer advice, or has gone through this, and will offer instructions?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,674 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:42 AM

1) Did you run the Windows 7 Update Advisor just to make sure your system is compatible?
2) Drivers should be obtained directly from the OEM Websites. Get the chipset driver from HP's site and install it. Then go to the the websites of your various card manufacturers and download and install the appropriate drivers. There is NEVER a need to pay for drivers or to locate drivers.

#3 Barefoot2

Barefoot2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 06:35 PM

I followed the instuctions in the retail pack, and used the compatability test. There were 3 alerts, and I called Microsoft directly to see if they were critical (as in, if the graphics wouldn't support Aero, I wasn't worried about that aesthetic feature, or anything else not 'functionality' specific). The tech that I was connected with wasn't concerned with the alerts that I informed him of. After this whole experience, I am not sure his opinion was trustworthy. Either way, right now, I have 7 on the desktop, and can do minor stuff like set accounts, play games (included... solitaire, etc.) Since I haven't reloaded office software, I can't know whether there are any problems with 7 interacting with that. I can't go online for the obvious reason that the driver is missing for the modem, so I used my laptop to go to HP's site to access that (at least), but it won't run (?).
As for obtaining the drivers directly, I am not against doing that if it is my the solution, but I am mystified by my lack of success with the modem driver. I just wonder about the drivers disk problem, whether it is indicative of something else.
Truthfully, I am just getting tired of having to put off my husband regarding what he sees as "his computer". I am getting perilously close to just taking it somewhere to be fixed, but that would be to admit defeat, and therefore not a palatable idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users