Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Install of Win XP Home Edition SP2 over SP3

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tryn2learn

tryn2learn

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:41 AM

Okay, after a week of frustration with this machine, finally located the purchased Win XP Home Edition SP2 CD. Set Bios to boot off CD. It starts working as it should and then locks on the license agreement and freezes there, it does not accept the F8 for I ACCEPT. I read MS tech article about Selective Start UP and went that root. Problem is it will not let me reformat the hard drive to reinstall XP Home SP2, first it tells me that I'm installing an older version (duh) and then it will only install over the existing files (not a good idea). Tells me I cannot delete or reformat C: because the temp files are on that drive, yet then it tells me to put the CD in and enter my product key. So when it installed on C: it hasn't solved my initial problem of start ups are inconsistent and have to power down and restart manually until it figures out that I want to start windows. It's almost like after being powered down for a couple of hours it needs time to "warm up" before it boots properly. (kind of like my car, needs to warm up before it runs right!)

My question: How can I complete reformat the hard drive to install this system from scratch?

I am doing this because of inconsistant booting and non start up problems, which I had a thread on a few days ago.

Have run Malwarebytes and AVAST and supposedly the system is clean. What I want to do is clean and reformat the hard drive to get rid of any conflicting files which I believe there are. Do a clean install and go from there with the necessary updates.

I will apologize in advance for starting this new thread if I was suppose to put it on the old thread. But this really is a new issue on clean install and I don't know how to close the other thread.

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer.
tryN :huh:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:20 AM

FOUND THE PROBLEM

I'm using a multimedia keyboard. It didn't recognize the F8 key until you use the F lock toggle.

Hoping this install goes well. I did get a message that there were damaged system files. Doing a complete reformat of the hard drive and then installing and updating and crossing my fingers all will be like new! (Well, that is for an old PC)

Thanks to all!
:thumbsup:

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

Hi Donna,

Windows may not allow you to install a older service pack over a newer one. I would wipe the hdd with a program like Darik's Nuke and Boot. This will completely overwrite the entire hdd leaving you with a blank slate to begin with, once XP with SP2 is installed you can download SP3.

A second option would be to slipstream SP3 with the installation CD for XP. You can read about slip-streaming here.

In your previous post the option to run a diagnostic test on the hdd was opened, this still may be needed if there are problems with this installation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:22 AM

You can install an older OS as long as you begin the installation routine at boot and immediately format the drive (or delete the system partition)

#5 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:59 AM

Yep, it worked splendidly.

Reformatted the hard drive and installed so far without a hitch!

Thanks all. :)

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

Be sure to install all drivers (starting with the chipset driver).

#7 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

All the drivers except the audio were there, I didn't have to reload. I'm confused, I thought the chipset was in the BIOS??? :huh:

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

You need to go to the website of your computer manufacturer and download and install the chipset driver.

As for the other drivers, is your system a laptop or desktop? If it's a laptop, you should get the video and audio drivers from the computer mfg's site. If it's a desktop, you should go to the website of the various card manufacturers (video, audio, NIC if appropriate, etc) and download their current drivers.

If you prefer to use the default Windows drivers for sound and video that's your call, but you're not getting the full benefit of the hardware that way.

#9 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:20 PM

This is a very old machine. The MS driver for the audio is more than adequate. It's an on the motherboard audio MUP-104 MIDI compatible device.

Excuse me for being so stupid here, but if the chipset drivers were bad or old, wouldn't that keep the system from running?

This is a pentium 4, 1.90Mhz process with 1 GB RAM, and 40 GB hard drive. It's not even going to have any apps loaded, just the basic operating system so the person who will be using it can access the web to look up parts, and of course his email. I take it back, the apps that are loaded as extras are AVAST free anti-virus, Ccleaner and Malwarebytes.

I will go take another look and see what the version is of the Intel chipset and see if there is anything newer.

Thanks
tryN
:)

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:33 PM

It's not that the chipset driver is bad, it doesn't exist until you install it. Take a look in device manager. Are there any yellow exclamation marks?

If you can't find the driver on your system manufacturer's site, go to the website of your mobo manufactuer.

Edited by Allan, 15 March 2011 - 02:34 PM.

#11 tryn2learn

tryn2learn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 02:42 PM

The only yellow explanation mark was for the audio device driver. All other drivers are there and were reinstalled with the XP SP2 disk as I watched the files when they were moving slow enough. Like the modem, USBs, etc.

I'll go check it again. Thanks

#12 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

Whats the make/model of this system?

Not all motherboards require the chipset drivers.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,617 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:42 PM

The only yellow explanation mark was for the audio device driver. All other drivers are there and were reinstalled with the XP SP2 disk as I watched the files when they were moving slow enough. Like the modem, USBs, etc.

I'll go check it again. Thanks

If everything in device manager is okay and everything is working properly, perhaps your system doesn't need a chipset driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users