Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ram upgrade won'tg work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rei10bach

Rei10bach

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 05:48 AM

I have an eMachine EL1200-06w computer(2yrs old). I wanted to upgrade RAM from 1G to 2G. After check with cruical, I bought what they recommended(2 sticks of DDR2 PC2-5300 667 mhz 240-pin memory). Installed them and nothing happens, just a black screen. I put the old one back in and it works like b/4. HELP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:17 AM

This will get the specs of your computer.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:54 PM

Did you test the memory from Crucial one stick at a time?
Maybe one of them is bad.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 Suicide King

Suicide King

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:19 PM

A two year old mobo should be able to support 2 gigs of ram -- although, on the odd chance it doesn't, that could be the source of your problem. We really need the specs of the computer, as well as the ram you're trying to install, to make sure everything 'should' work. Without knowing the specs, I'd have to agree with Eyesee -- try testing one stick at a time. Also check the contacts on the ram and make sure there isn't any sign of damage or dirt that could be causing a bad connection.

Make sure the ram is connected correctly, as well. There is a small gap in the center of the ram, and that gap should line up where it plugs into the motherboard. When the ram is correctly positioned, push it in from both sides. If you are plugging it in correctly, you'll feel and see the plastic clips -- which you unclipped to remove the old ram -- clip into place as the new ram correctly slides into place. Push them into place cautiously, but sometimes they do require a decent amount of force. [If something seems wrong -- like something is bending too much when you try to install the ram -- always stop! Better to be safe than sorry. Trust your gut.]

Another option is what "channels" you have the ram in. Some motherboards might have 4 ram slots. If you're only using two of those slots, you need to make sure you place both sticks of ram in the same color channel. There should be two channels, if your motherboard supports dual channels -- each channel has a certain color. If you're installing two sticks of ram, make sure those sticks are in the same color slots on the motherboard. If you have them in the same color, and the problem is still happening, move them both to the other color available -- I've seen cases where, when you're only using only one color channel, the ram has to be in a specific channel and won't post the computer till you move it to the other color.

Just my two cents for now. Post the specs and I'm sure we'll be able to give you a little more help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users