Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Video Card To Install Help Please>

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jorywlu

jorywlu

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:44 PM

I am changeing my X800GT for a X850XT video card. I have never installed I video, or even open up my computer box before. I am pretty sure I know what I am doing. I was just wondering when I plug in the fan for the video card, can I plug it into and empty power adapter in the computer, or does it have to be in a specific. My game plan, is to find a slot that fits the connector and stick it. Any other cautions I should take. I know I have to ground myself first. It is ok to put the card in the computer first, then plug it back in and then install the drivers after, or should I do that first.

ALSO. What I believe is the fan power hookup is kind of puzzrling me. it has a sort os square connector that seems to plug into the card it self, it has three wires running from it one yellow two black, at the other end the is a rectangular connector with 4 pins side by side. That connector has those three wires running into it, and then has another four wires one yellow one red and two black going to another connector, that has four holes that fits into the second connector I mentioned. I know this sounds confusing, I am sure you know what I am tlaking about. I can figure out where the first connector goes...into the the video, the other two. I am not sure. do I just find to slots where the match

Edited by jorywlu, 23 December 2005 - 03:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:14 PM

Some motherboards have extra fan plugs built on. You could buy an adapter and plug into one of the extra drive power plugs.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Salo

Salo

• Banned
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 AM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 06:38 PM

Alright, what you need to do. Is put the video card into the AGP/PCI-e graphics slot, and then plug it in basically.

Heres a tutorial Ive written to help newcomers.
http://techsomething.net/InstallVidcard.htm

Also, the 4 pin molex connector, is what your talking about in your secnd paragraph. It has a 4 pin connector, obviously. And it matches the little slot on your graphics card. Just find an empty one, and plug it in. Theres no major concerns here, unless you unplug power to something else like your harddrive.

#4 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:32 PM

I strongly advise yuou remove your old video cards drivers BEFORE you install your new card

IMO:

step #1 / go to add remove programs / remove all programs which correspond to the existing video card

# 2
shut down computer >>>>> remove existing card >>> install new card

# 3 >>> boot up computer >>> install new card drivers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users