Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Internet Explorer Will Not Respond Sometimes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jondun

jondun

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 02:49 PM

I recently purchased a Dell Demension 3000 and I use a BellSouth dial up account. After I get online with it, I click on Explorer to go to my homepage (Yahoo) and the program will not respond. If I wait long enough sometimes it will work. Does anyone know what's causing this and how I can fix it? Thank you for your time and consideration.

[Moderator edit: moved thread to more appropriate forum. jgweed]

Edited by jgweed, 15 January 2006 - 04:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:05 PM

Clean out you cashe, internet temp files, and cookie. It' in Tools>Internet Options.
Also do a disk cleanup, Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup.
Could you list the specs on your computer? Ram, proccessor, hard drive used/free space?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 09:13 AM

This could also be your connection. I'd suggest that you contact BellSouth and have them check your line.

Also, as acklan has requested, please let us know your system specs. Please include information on your antivirus, antispyware and other internet security applications.

You can perform a free, online scan of your system for viruses and spyware at this URL (but, be advised, that it'll take several hours on dialup): http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Depending on how you have your Yahoo home page setup - there may be a huge amount of graphics loading - and this is what's causing the delay.

There are "web accelerator" programs that will cache the graphics on your hard drive - and this will appear to speed up the loading of the pages. There are also options in IE to not display graphics (but this sorta defeats some of the purpose of the web :thumbsup:

And, frankly, dialup is going to be a pain in the keister as long as you're on it. It'll save you money - but you'll spend so much time waiting for stuff that you'll lose that savings in your time spent waiting.

My wife and I met and dated on the internet. She was using dialup and I was on cable. This made it very difficult when we started using webcams and voice chatting. When she came to visit me, she (and the boys) got to see cable in action - and they immediately wanted to ditch the dialup in favor of cable (which I gladly did for them).

But, it's your choic and your $'s
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Genealogy Rules

Genealogy Rules

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2005 - 05:26 AM

I'm getting something similar. When I connect using Netzero dialup the Internet Explorer window that automatically pops up will freeze anywhere from 15 seconds to a minute and then work just fine. During this time, the firewall indicates that quite a bit of information is feeding through. It usually starts working correctly on its own so I wait to close it then so that I don't get that message about sending stuff to M$. Are you getting this kind of freeze-up?

Internet Explorer does not do this on mine when I connect using a wireless network so it must be the software or a conflict between the NZ program and another program. It could be the same on yours.

Anyone know a fix?

#5 jondun

jondun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2005 - 02:45 PM

Thank you all so much for replying. My system specifications are processor Celeron CPU 2.53GHz. Memory is 512MB and as far as I can tell I have 320 free. As acklan instructed, I deleted the cookies and temp files, but I am not sure how to empty the cache. I also ran the disk cleanup. Everything seems okay now, but if it happens again I plan to call bellsouth as usasma said. The dial up is like a free account that comes with a package, so I just use it at work. I have the DSL at home. I called Dell for support because I just purchased this system from them and they said I had to pay some more money to get some kind of "Dell on Call" service. Can you believe that?
Well, thanks again for the assistance. I'll keep you posted on how things are going.

Jonathan

#6 aDelluser

aDelluser

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 03:24 PM

I have had a similar problem with Earthlink and Verizon Dial-up with a Dell 4600 Dimension with the IE and Outlook Express not loading immediately and only loading after waiting about 5 minutes.

For some reason I suspected the Dell Support feature that automatically loads during the boot-up of Win XP was causing this problem. I have un-installed this program and everything seems to run and load normally with no delays.

I don't see the reason or need for this Dell program when Windows and my anti-virus sotware already check for updates anyways.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2006 - 04:15 PM

As a general note, many ISPs seem to like to add extra "stuff" to your IE browser, such as their own toolbar, or to reconfigure IE almost entirely- - -either of these seems to cause IE to slow down even more than normally when loading pages. Having been forced by a recent move to accept the drastic limitations of dial-up, I have found that either the Mozilla Suite, or Firefox seem to browse faster than does IE, and without all the added "helpful" features that my ISP added to IE.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 jondun

jondun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:09 AM

After much patience with Internet Explorer, I finally downloaded Mozilla Firefox. It works fine. The only problem I have is that it is hard for me to update McAfee with it. When I try to update with IE, I run into the same problems I always have. I would be grateful for any advice on this matter.

Jonathan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users