Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GIMP and Ad/Malware

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cyberherbalist

Cyberherbalist

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:18 PM

I've been using GIMP 2.6 at home for some time, and decided to install it on my work computer last month, but after the installation I suddenly had a bunch of adware on my system, and it was clear that it had come in with GIMP. The adware took no small effort to get rid of, as it seemed to be actively opposing me.

After that episode I wondered if I should upgrade GIMP on my home machine and maybe I had just blazed through the install at work and inadvertantly accepted the adware. Accordingly I downloaded the latest GIMP version and tried to upgrade my home copy. This is what I found. The install required going through a number of steps, each one offering me something non-GIMP I could install. I think what I did at work was to just blindly trust the GIMP installation, and it ended up installing the whole mess. Here's what I experienced:

- an offer to install the Bing toolbar, make Bing my default browser, and make Bing my home page. I like Bing but I hate toolbars, and my home page is my blog, so: Declined.
- an offer to install something called "DropDownDeals", which woujld also necessitate installing "Yontoo layers" including PageRage and BuzzDock whatever they are, apparently for Facebook and "enhancing search results". Declined.
- an offer to install WeatherBug. Declined.\
- after installation, it opened to a web page where, among other things, a Registry Scan was offered and an advert for AVG anti-virus.

The DropDownDeals thing is what I may have had all the trouble uninstalling at work. Or it may have been something different. I think what GIMP is doing is providing the offers above as part of some kind of advertising, possibly to help pay for running GIMP.

In any case, if you want GIMP, please be aware that you need to watch carefully or you may acquire more crap than you bargained for. Don't just click without thinking, at least, like I did.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:00 AM

I recently downloaded and install GIMP on my lap top, and I did not get prompted for any of those during installation.

Where did you get your installer from?

#3 Cyberherbalist

Cyberherbalist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

I got it from:

http://www.gimp.us.com

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:12 AM

Get it from http://www.gimp.org, your installer seems to be an invalid from.

#5 JosiahK

JosiahK

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

Isn't it better to say get it from http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/ directly?
The actual gimp.org site has downloads for the various Linux distros and Mac OSx, but then links to that site for downloading the Windows version.
It can be a bit hard to find if you don't know what you're looking for.
Quod non mortiferum, fortiorem me facit.
I don't read minds. Please help everyone by answering any questions and reporting on the results of any instructions. Query any concerns and explain problems or complications.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users