Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rebuild will not boot from HD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mrmann

mrmann

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

Greetings,

The computer I'm rebuilding starts, completes POST, but will not boot from the hard drive. Here is the setup: great deal on mobo/cpu combo from CompUSA (???) == Asus M2N68-AM Plus mobo, AMD Phenom X4 9750, 4 GB (2 x 2GB) Patriot PGS24G6400ELK, 450W generic PSU, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU cooler, Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB SATA hard drive, Lite-On DVD RW (IDE).

Build went smoothly, powered up right away. Darn thing is so fast I couldn't see what the access key was to enter CMOS. Screen comes up "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert boot media in selected Boot device and press a key." The HD has XP already loaded. Known good from use in other computer. Tried different SATA port, no help

First, determined how to get into CMOS and checked to see that HD and optical drive are correctly recognized, all good. Continued to check settings for boot order, power settings, etc. Still no joy on the boot.

Next, I tried booting from XP install disk. this works and can get into Recovery Console. Tried BOOTCFG, FIXMBR with same result as before.

Checked boot.ini to make sure boot config was correct...all good.

So I can boot from the optical drive but its like the Hard Drive is invisible, except that it is properly recognized in the CMOS.

Any ideas??

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:14 PM

The HD has XP already loaded. Known good from use in other computer.

If this is a "preloaded\installed" hard drive from a totally different system then that is likely your problem.

Due to a multitude of reasons, hard drive swaps as you are describing rarely work.

A fresh install is your best bet.

#3 mrmann

mrmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:26 PM

Thanks, Thunderz

You were correct in your assessment. It required a complete reinstall of XP. I guess a new motherboard, cpu, and more memory was just too much for it!!

Thanks again. The wonderful, whacky, wizards of BleepingComputer strike again. One more for the Good Guys.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

The motherboard with it`s different chipset and a few other things is what got you. :huh:

:thumbsup: Glad you got it worked out.

Just wish I had had an easier answer for you. :whistle:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users