Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dumb 'Computer Footprint' question

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 09:30 PM

Hello!

I apologize if this is the wrong place for this question. Sometimes I'm not so smart about that.
Lately weird things have been happening on some sites I visit that are leading me to believe that I'm giving out more info about myself than I want.
Usually, I would take a screen shot so you guys would know what the heck I'm talking about, but I've been really busy and haven't been thinking clearly I guess.
Every time it happens I sigh and make a mental note to do something later. :rolleyes:
Anyway, how do I find out what I'm putting out there? I don't even know how to look this up.
Isn't there a site that will tell you what you are leaving on a page? :unsure:
Thanks for any help you can give. :wub:

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:51 PM

In all honesty I have no idea what you're asking without some additional information. What sort of sites are you talking about? What type of transactions are you talking about? It could be as little as a browsing cookie to something to be paranoid about. The level of information you supply to base your question on is insufficient to hazard a guess at this juncture.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

Hi Animal! Thank you so much for responding!
One example is when I go to log in on various sites, they will identify me as my workplace. This is my personal laptop, not my work one. One site was able to see where I live. So I'm trying to fix this sort of sprawling, hard to define(for me-because I'm not smart about this stuff) problem. It's not a huge problem, but I want to make sure I'm being seen as me and not as my workplace.

I remember a few years ago going to a website that would tell you everything they could gather from the footprint you left on their site. I can't remember the site name. I can't remember how they were terming this 'footprint' and so my searches for it have thus far been unfruitful. They could tell you your computer name, sites you had previously visited, if you have open ports, lots of stuff. I guess I have this idea that if I could just find that site I could figure out what's going on.

I don't think it's cookies, because it happens after I have cleaned them out, but maybe I'm not doing it properly. I was thinking about trying Hijack This, but it will have to wait until the end of the semester because I don't have much time to devote to this right now.

I hope this helped make this less confusing and thanks again.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

Speccy

#4 FayB

FayB

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:32 PM

ubiq,
You can run shieldsup at grc.com and it will give some of the information you mentined. It will give your computer name and will let you run a test of your ports. I haven't messed with it a lot but I didn't see where it would tell what sites you had been visited, so this is probably not what you are talking about - but just thought I would mention it.

Edited by FayB, 15 March 2011 - 09:33 PM.

#5 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:42 PM

Hi Ubiq

What Browser are you using?

#6 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:19 AM

@FayB: Thanks! That's a great site! Unfortunately, it showed that everything seems very secure. So I'm going to be puzzling over this for a bit.

@ThunderZ: I'm using Firefox 3.6.15 with a few of those add-ons.

Speccy

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 04:54 AM

I'm using Firefox 3.6.15.......

This article may help explain it and also how to stop it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users