Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"user Enviroment" Message During Log On

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 repoman

repoman

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 01:30 PM

My family all use this system. (Windows XPHome)
We have three user accounts, all in administrator. Mine (Pat), Tracy and Dominic.
When "Tracy" or "Dominic" log in they receive this User Enviroment message:

"Windows can not load the users profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system. The system has attempted to load or restore a file into the registry but the specified file is not in a registry file format"

There is a timer that counts down 30 seconds and the message goes away or you can click "OK" and it closes.

There doesn't seem to be any problem with their accounts other then this message.

This has been happening since we first set up our user accounts TWO YEARS ago. They've just been clicking the box closed when they log on.

BTW, my user account log on works as it should. It's just the other two.

I would really love to get rid of this message. (not as much as Tracy or Dominic would.)
:thumbsup:

Any takers?

repoman

Edited by repoman, 23 December 2005 - 01:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 06:56 PM

Hi repoman,

It sounds like those user profiles are corrupt. Back up all files the other two users have and then delete the accounts. Then recreate the accounts as you like and try it again. Definately worth a shot...

I looked on the Microsoft Knowledge Base and they showed Service pack 2 was supposed to fix that issue. If you haven't upgraded to SP2, and want to, I would make sure your system is as clean from viruses, and adware/malware/spyware as possible. Always good to be up to date anyways...

Good luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 repoman

repoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:05 PM

sounds simple enough I guess.
thanks, it's definietly worth a shot.
(and thanks for the reply!)

I'll let you know how I make out.
repo

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:13 PM

Download details: User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
A service to help with slow log off and unreconciled profile problems: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 repoman

repoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 09:22 AM

edit

Edited by repoman, 24 December 2005 - 09:38 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 09:26 AM

The Hive Cleanup isn't 100% gauranteed to fix your problem - sorry!

It appears then, that the problem is in the accounts (since, presumably this doesn't happen in a "virgin" account).

In this case, instead of copying everything to the new account all at once, try copying things in small batches (like a folder at a time). Then try the account again to see if the problem is still there. Once you locate the folder that the error is in - then you can start working on the files to see which file causes this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 repoman

repoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 10:03 AM

John,
here's what I've tried:

Downloaded Hive Cleanup but when I reied to run the program nothing happens.
I get a DOS window and a curser,but no action! After a few moments the window closes.

Also, when I to create a new account and move all the files (document &settings) from the old acount that I want to delete, into it, I get the same "User Envirorment" message popping up when I try to log on the new account name.

However, I did notice that if I creat a new account , without moving any files into it, and open it , the error message does not come up.
I guess I can conclude that there is something in the files that I'm coying and moving from the corrupt account to the new account that has the registry problem. But which files?

#8 repoman

repoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 10:05 AM

Ok, I totally missed your last post...sorry, don't mind me.
I'll try moving a folder at a time to see which one stinks!

thanks for the help so far...
repo

#9 repoman

repoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 10:46 AM

It is the Local Setting folder /files that contains the problem.
I reached this conclusion since I was able to copy all other folders from the old account to the new one , excluding Local Settings, and I do not received the error meaasge when logging on the new account.

So, I should just be able to remove the old account and then this user will be all set.

aahhh, all is well in repo-land once again!

(I'll still need to set up the e-mail in the new account before I remove the old account. Hope that isn't a big deal.)

later,

repo

Edited by repoman, 24 December 2005 - 03:10 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2005 - 09:41 PM

Before you delete the old accounts - make sure that the new one's operate 100% for you. Crank them through a bunch of tests to see if they can use all the programs.

Also, you might try to just import the Application Data folder (it's the next level below Local Settings). There should already be an Application Data folder in the new profile - so you can just copy the folder over to see if it works.

#11 repoman

repoman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:28 AM

Both old profiles were successfully deleted and the new ones are working fine, so far.
The system now switches between users much faster and a few other little snafus we were experiencing(like sporadic freezing when logging off, etc.) also went away.
Thanks for the help folks.

repo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users