Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Laptop problems

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

Hi! I'm using an Acer D725 laptop, running Vista, and must've picked up a trojan or virus. The unit was on, and downloading a movie from a P2P site. When I checked it later, I had a dark blue screen. When I tried to shut it off and restart it, it begins to open, and then just goes to a dark-blue (blank) screen. Now it won't boot at all, either regularly, in Safe mode, or from the system CD that came with it when purchased.

In Safe Mode, it scrolls through files, and stops at: system32\drivers\Mup.sys.

When trying to boot from Acer's CD, it says: PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE Rom Operating system not found.

When I tried to boot from a Windows XP CD it stopped and said that 'Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to the system.

Can anyone help? Thanks

Edited by PGHinBKK, 14 March 2011 - 08:36 PM.

Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 15 March 2011 - 11:40 AM

The PXE messages...indicate that the BIOS is set to try to boot/install from a network.

I would go into BIOS...change boot options so that CD is first, hard drive is second...save the changes...then try the CD.

If it is malware, not sure that will be successful.

Louis

#3 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:47 PM

Louis,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I should have mentioned that when I tried to boot from the CD, that is what I did first...went into BIOS, selected Boot from CD, (which was the second of only three options listed) and then tried to boot-up, but it didn't work. I think it may be the hard drive. The machine is only a year and a half old, but someone here at work had a similar problem, and the fact that the unit said it 'cannot find the OS' seems to indicate that the hard drive is not spooling up, in order to open Windows. Any other suggestions that I might try before replacing the hard-drive? Thanks again.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:29 AM

Are you saying that you changed the boot options in the BIOS...and saved the changes...so that the optical drive is the first boot device...and yuou still get PXE errors?

Louis

#5 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

Luis, I'm saying that when I couldn't boot up normally, I went into BIOS, selected the second option (boot from CD) then told it to boot. I did not 'save' the change, but when it tried to boot from the CD it gave that message. The several times I tried to boot normally it failed to give any messages at all, but simply went to a blank screen. When I saw that message, I naturally thought it had tried the CD but for some reason still couldn't boot-up.

Q: Does this sound at all like a hard-drive problem? Someone here suggested that it might be the small battery on the main-board, another suggested 'reloading the BIOS' and yet another suggested that it is the HD. (We all use laptops here, and everyone has had problems over the years..) But before I go to the IT mall and purchase a new HD, I want to make sure that that is where the problem lies.

Thanks again for your prompt reply. :)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,721 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

The nature of these forums...calls for a lot of guessing.

I try not to guess...but to suggest based on what experiences I've had, vicariously or personally :).

I suggested the specific procedure for changing the boot options...for a reason. If you change then save the changes...and the options change back to something else...that would tend to point to CMOS battery possiblilities.

Since you did not do that...I don't know any more than I did initially regarding what might be wrong.

Since you have a laptop...that complicates things a bit because it's easier to troubleshoot a desktop (IMO).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users