Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start up screen and users screen?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rob81

Rob81

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:15 PM

Hey guy's I am running Windows XP and I installed a Windows 7 transformation pack. I didn't like it so I uninstalled it and erased every trace of it on my hard drive and in my registry. My computer is running perfect and is back to the origional Windows XP the only problem is my "windows is starting screen" and my "users" screen still says Windows 7. Is there any way to put these startup screens back to the origional XP screens? I researched it on google and it seemed pretty simple it said to locate the logos.sys or logow.sys file and replace it but I cant find any file that is called that. I have selected the folder options to "show hidden files" and "show protected windows files" but I still cant find it. If there is some way to put it back to the factory settings it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

Do you mean these two screens:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Because those are two unrelated (as far as skinning and modding) screens.

I'm unfamiliar with the Windows 7 Transformation Pack but I'd bet dimes to donuts that they used LogonStudio for the logon screen and Bootskin for the boot-up screen. As I recall, both of these programs have a "revert to default" option which you might be able to use to, well, revert to the defaults.

#3 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

Yes those are the two screens I would like to change. I installed boot skins and tried it out but it didnt have the factory windows xp boot screen option so I uninstalled it. I am not sure about the other log on screen. So any idea how to fix it?

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 12:08 AM

Hmmmm...

The logon screen is powered by the logonui.exe file. Search for a file called logonui.exe.bak or similar which may be a backup of the original made by the transformation pack. Alternatively if you have your XP CD handy, you can find the original on the CD in the i386 directory named logonui.ex_. This is a compressed file which needs to be de-compressed using a specific Microsoft tool (which should be built-in to XP.) To expand the file, use this command (where X:\ is your CD drive):

expand X:\I386\LOGONUI.EX_ %systemroot%\system3

#5 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:34 PM

I found a bunch of logonui files but none that have bak at the end of the file name. I also tried to run that command with my xp cd in but windows could not open that file. I can manually search my xp cd and i found the logonui file. I tried replacing my logonui file with the one from the xp cd and it didnt change anything. I am surprised nobody else knows how to fix this hmmmm

#6 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:27 PM

See if there's a folder called C:\VTPFiles. I just tested out the Seven Transformation Pack and it seemed to place backups of the original files there.

#7 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2011 - 07:59 PM

I found that folder but there is nothing in it :(

#8 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:15 AM

Posted Image

Lemme think a bit...

#9 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! ok fingers crossed!! What if I try reparing my start up files?? Somehow.....lol

#10 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

Anyone else have any ideas??? I thought this forum would have a solution for sure I guess not :mellow:

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 19 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

hi, i would almost bet that some in the community here will have an answer, click on community /forum across the top of page
http://www.windowsxlive.net/seven-transformation-pack

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#12 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

Have you gone to that forum? About 70 topics Maybe 80 replies. Moderators or Administrator M.I.A. Last post March 7th. I'm always skeptical of programs like this, unless I see a large and vibrant community associated with it.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an answer there. :whistle: Hope I'm wrong though for the OP's benefit.

#13 Rob81

Rob81
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:42 PM

Have you gone to that forum? About 70 topics Maybe 80 replies. Moderators or Administrator M.I.A. Last post March 7th. I'm always skeptical of programs like this, unless I see a large and vibrant community associated with it.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for an answer there. :whistle: Hope I'm wrong though for the OP's benefit.

Ya and this thread has a bunch of views and only one person helping who now seems to have vanished unless he has been working up a master plan for the past week!! Maybe the other forum is my last resort :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users