are programs distributed by Ask Jeeves
, a search engine that becomes the default once installed and can be difficult to remove. It is often bundled with "free software
" such as wallpaper and screensavers offered by third party software vendor. AskBarDis is also bundled with the free FoxIt Reader program and installed by default unless you uncheck or decline that option during the installation process. In many cases, users don't even know how or when the toolbar had been installed.
I recommend you remove it. Why
Ask Search End User License Agreement
6. Disclaimer of Warranty: YOU ACCESS AND USE THE TOOLBAR AT YOUR SOLE RISK. WE PROVIDE THE TOOLBAR ON AN "AS IS," AND "AS AVAILABLE" BASIS WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND...WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES CONCERNING THE TOOLBAR, AND YOU WILL BE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR LOSS OF DATA THAT RESULTS FROM THE DOWNLOAD OF THE TOOLBAR...
can be removed via Add/Remove Programs
in Control Panel or Programs and Features
in Vista/Windows 7 so check there first.
If there is no listing you can try downloading and using AskSearchUtility.exe
. Safe the file to your desktop, close your browser and double-click on it to run the utility.
Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
(v1.50.1) and save it to your desktop.
Malwarebytes' may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
- Double-click on the setup file to install, then follow these instructions for doing a Quick Scan in normal mode.
- Don't forget to check for database definition updates through the program's interface (preferable method) before scanning.
Note: If Malwarebytes' encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally will prevent Malwarebytes' from removing all the malware.
- After completing the scan, a log report will open in Notepad.
- The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab .
- Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows the database version and your operating system.
- Exit Malwarebytes' when done.
-- Some types of malware will target Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and other security tools to keep them from running properly. If that's the case, please refer to the suggestions provided in For those having trouble running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
as you may need to rename it or use RKill